Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Registration Info

Congrats on the purchase!
    Taxes definitely get paid by you to the DMV. I think in the case of a used car they will be based on the sale price (proof of purchase from dealer/former owner). Having a previous title will help with the process, but I am not sure what details will be needed in addition. I'm not sure how the mileage on the car figures in. The Pleasanton DMV was pretty helpful to me when I registered my (new) Noble there some years ago, so hopefully they can guide you through it.

PS: I know it is late notice, but Hoover is having a big open house at his Turbohoses shop in Livermore tomorrow from 10 AM to 12 N, and there will be lots of Nobles and Lotus cars there to check out if you are in the area.
    The Turbohoses address is: 5948 Las Positas Rd., Livermore, 94550, and that should be 80-90 miles from Petaluma.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

My car had 2000 miles when I bought it.

If you attend the open house, don't bring your wallet. That place is a cash vacuum cleaner.
    -------------------------
    Jeff
    Noble parts for sale, see my Noble website: http://Noblecars.org

Follow up on Hoover's Open House:
    It was a great day, and quite a variety of cars showed up.
    (FYI--That's my '67 yellow/green Elan in the foreground )
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

Cool, good to learn after it happened #notinvited

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Congrats on the purchase!
    Taxes definitely get paid by you to the DMV. I think in the case of a used car they will be based on the sale price (proof of purchase from dealer/former owner). Having a previous title will help with the process, but I am not sure what details will be needed in addition. I'm not sure how the mileage on the car figures in. The Pleasanton DMV was pretty helpful to me when I registered my (new) Noble there some years ago, so hopefully they can guide you through it.

PS: I know it is late notice, but Hoover is having a big open house at his Turbohoses shop in Livermore tomorrow from 10 AM to 12 N, and there will be lots of Nobles and Lotus cars there to check out if you are in the area.
    The Turbohoses address is: 5948 Las Positas Rd., Livermore, 94550, and that should be 80-90 miles from Petaluma.

I ended up purchasing a Noble GTO 3R (NUS0090) that was already Titled and Registered in California. No headaches. I liked the Rossion a lot but was concerned with registration issues/headaches.

I missed the event since i just read the posts.

Looking forward to meeting all of you eventually.

Chris

Update on my life - I live in New Mexico now. The car was previously registered up in Washington state but looks like I’ll need to jump through some hoops to have it registered here as a “custom vehicle” unless I register it as a normal car. The problem with registering it as a normal car is I would have to go through emissions inspections and I’m unsure if the testing facilities here will let me do a sniff test since our cars are technically supposed to be OBD2. Government agencies in NM are notorious for let’s just say a lack of critical thinking.

Will update as I go through this process. If unsuccessful I guess this will be a track only car

Hello EspritNOOB, just curious what happened after the CHP visit? Did you get passed BAR and get your M400 registered? I ask because I am through all of the steps. Everything went smooth as silk until BAR. It felt just fine up until the nice man said it will take 4 to 6 weeks before his boss can get back to me with his decision and then they will notify me to return to his office to get the stickers and then go to DMV to complete registration. Unfortunately January 28th was BAR and 6 weeks later I called because I had not heard from them and it was a BAD Day!! The BAR manager I spoke with told me that my car was a "Small Volume Manufactured Automobile" thus not eligible for registration in California. I have yet to get a straight answer as to why this is. I have been told it is because it was registered in Montana. I have also been told that it was because it was owned under a LLC and titled in the guys Holdings instead of his name. Fact of it is, it was a rich guy who bought a toy to race and for track days so he did some funny stuff with his paperwork but it doesn't change the definition of a kit car. Anyway, I really could use some real help if anyone has any pull or legal knowledge. At the moment I do not have a rejection in writing and I do have almost 6k in fees sitting in the DMV's hands. I would most prefer to register my car legally and not do something shady or otherwise too questionable.

Thanks,
    Jimbo

move to Ohio we have no problems. it is a peace of cake here

Mine is registered under my LLC in Montana. You could title it in Montana
    Last edited by cooch8c; 04-20-2019 at 04:44 AM.

That might be sort of where the problem begins. My car was first purchased under the LLC in 09 and it was not titled until 2018, at this time it was titled under his holdings LLC in Montana. As far as I am aware, it spent the majority of its life playing on the race tracks in the southern US until the owner decided it was time to sell. This is when he registered the car and thus when I purchased my headache. I do Love my headache but would willing give a kings ransom to get this fixed legally but swiftly. All I need to do is to get past BAR. Everything else is done. Well, I am now sort of in limbo because I can't drive anywhere so that does pose a new issue.