Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Registration Info

Default Registration Info

Wanted to have a dedicated thread for registration info from state to state, county to county for Nobles (and other kit cars).

I'll start out:

NEVADA

Clark County (Las Vegas) and Washoe (Reno): OBD II is REQUIRED for all vehicles with engines from vehicles 1996 and newer on "most" areas of Las Vegas and Reno.

Other counties: Currently no smog requirements.

Process:

1. Insure your car. Must be Nevada insurance.

2. Collect all of your paperwork. You'll need: invoice (from 1gracing), Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (from 1gracing), and insurance. You MAY also need paperwork on engine (from AER), the extra parts paperwork (from SnakeBite performance or 1gracing), and the recept from your builder. Get it and bring it with you; they may or may not ask you for it.

2. Get safety inspection at any Nevada Registered Garage or Licensed Nevada Body Shop (pep boys does it for $14.95, and it took all of 5 minutes). Be sure to get their correct DMV Business License Number (it'll start with GAR or BD) on the form. They will check this number in the computer at the DMV. This is the form you'll want to bring with you for them to fill out: DMV Safety Inspection Form

3. Take to DMV. MUST be major DMV, like the Las Vegas (on Flamingo or Sahara) or Reno one. DO NOT TAKE TO A RURAL DMV, BECAUSE THEY CANNOT ISSUE VIN NUMBERS. Go directly to the vehicle inspection line.

4. Get temporary movement permit from them. This allows you to drive for a bit if you want.

5. Now you can register & license the vehicle. Pay the fees (Sahara one took checks and even credit cards), get your license plate, leave.

Please add your experiences.
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

You asked for it MISSOURI

1) Get the following from 1G, Snakebite and AER
    - Notorized MSO
    - Notorized Engine receipt
    - Notorized Tranny receipt
    - Notorized Chassis receipt (detailed with all major pieces listed)
    2) Schedule appointment with State Highway Patrol for "kit car" inspection (4-8 week lead time)
    3) Obtain 551 form from DMV ($27.50)
    4) Take all papers to State Highway Patrol during the inspection
    - 551 Form (will be completed during inspection)
    - Notorized MSO
    5) Send completed 551 form to Jefferson City DOR
    6) DOR will reject and send the 551 form back along with a title application and other papers
    7) Fill out the application and send it back to DOR without the VIN. Must send:
    - 551 form
    - Notorized MSO
    - Title application without the VIN number filled in
    - 2 Pictures (front/side & rear/side views)
    - Check for DN (MO supplied VIN) and title application ($21.00 total ($10 and $11 respectively))
    8) DOR will reject the application and send a bill for Sales/Use Tax and Local Tax
    9) Send the Sales/Use and Local taxes due with reject slip to the DOR
    10) DOR contacts the State Highway Patrol with the DN number to affix to the car
    11) State Highway Patrol will contact you for an appointment to attach the DN to the chassis (2 - 5 days)
    12) Attach the DN
    13) State Highway Patrol will contact DOR that it's complete
    14) After the DN is attached but before you get the title you may:
    - Get inspection Saftey Inspection ($12.00)
    - Get the Smog Inspection - if St. Louis or St. Charles County ($24.00)
    15) DOR will send you the title and the registration papers
    16) Go to DMV and apply for tags
    - Personal Property tax receipt
    - Safety Inspection
    - Smog Inspection (will tailpipe probe it in leiu of OBD-II)
    - Proof of Insurance
    - Title from DOR

Expect about a 2 week wait each time you send papers to the DOR. And yes... you must send the papers incomplete to be rejected in order for the process to start.
    Last edited by Mike Muenter; 04-08-2005 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Muenter
    You asked for it MISSOURI

1) Get the following from 1G, Snakebite and AER
    - Notorized MSO
    2) Schedule appointment with State Highway Patrol for "kit car" inspection (4-8 week lead time)
    3) Obtain 551 form from DMV ($27.50)
    4) Take all papers to State Highway Patrol during the inspection
    - 551 Form (will be completed during inspection)
    - Notorized MSO
    5) Send completed 551 form to Jefferson City DOR
    6) DOR will reject and send the 551 form back along with a title application and other papers
    7) Fill out the application and send it back to DOR without the VIN. Must send:
    - 551 form
    - Notorized MSO
    - Title application without the VIN number filled in
    - 2 Pictures (front/side & rear/side views)
    - Check for DN (MO supplied VIN) and title application ($21.00 total ($10 and $11 respectively))
    8) DOR will reject the application and send a bill for Sales/Use Tax and Local Tax
    9) Send the Sales/Use and Local taxes due with reject slip to the DOR
    10) DOR contacts the State Highway Patrol with the DN number to affix to the car
    11) State Highway Patrol will contact you for an appointment to attach the DN to the chassis (2 - 5 days)
    12) Attach the DN
    13) State Highway Patrol will contact DOR that it's complete
    14) After the DN is attached but before you get the title you may:
    - Get inspection Saftey Inspection ($12.00)
    - Get the Smog Inspection - if St. Louis or St. Charles County ($24.00)
    15) DOR will send you the title and the registration papers
    16) Go to DMV and apply for tags
    - Personal Property tax receipt
    - Safety Inspection
    - Smog Inspection (will tailpipe probe it in leiu of OBD-II)
    - Proof of Insurance
    - Title and all other papers from DOR

Expect about a 2 week wait each time you send papers to the DOR. And yes... you must send the papers incomplete to be rejected in order for the process to start.
    Mike,

No wonder they call it the "Show Me State". That's a pretty rediculous process. I'm surprised you didn't have to show them your birth certificate and photos of your 1st born too. Talk about a beaurocratic nightmare!

Here in Michigan, it took me all of one trip to see a friend of mine that is a police officer to sign off on the inspection form and then one trip to the Secretary of State with my receipts and bill of sale from 1g, etc. and I was done. In fact I was able to order the vanity license plate at the same time and it arrived in the mail 10 minutes before my car was delivered from 1g.

I had the very same experience when I finisihed my Cobra replica and registered it and that was over 10 years ago. In that case I even had a Bill of Sale made in Georgia beforehand, so it could be titled as a 1966 Cobra. No one at the Secretary of State office knew what a Cobra was and it was still a painless process.

Guess I should count my lucky stars I live in Michigan where they love cars. We've talked about moving to a warmer climate when we retire......make mental note to check for archaic vehicle registration requirements prior to deciding on where to move. Thanks for the heads up on Missouri, Mike. How did you cope with not being able to drive it while going through that process?

Craig

I have 1280 miles on it I've been driving locally without plates since October. Whenever I get pulled over I just pull out all the documentation and explain in detail where I am in the process. By about the third document they shake their heads and tell me to get going. (Yes that means no tickets... knock on wood)

Seriously, they realize I'm trying my hardest through this do-do and have always been good about it. The highway patrol has been particularly great about stuff as they see this process all the time for salvage vehicles titles and know it's a mess. I've been documenting it for 1G and others just as a heads up since I'm the first Noble in MO.

EDIT: Just picked up the plates 4/8... HOORAY!!!
    Last edited by Mike Muenter; 04-08-2005 at 02:00 PM.

Updated Nevada with more info. My car is now registered. W00t!
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

Default California?

Can anyone tell me what is required to register a Noble in the state of California?

Default Registration in Pennsylvania

I recently registered my M12 in Pennsylvania. I am the second person in Pa. who has done so. The only problems come when you don't follow their guidelines which are not that difficult ( like the pictures you submit must be signed by a state licensed mechanic and he/she must include their license number, etc.) The entire process took less than 30 days and if you follow their guidelines it is a relatively easy and painless process. At the end of the day you receive a registration for a Specially Constructed Vehicle and a VIN issued by the state on a small tag which you attach to the car next to the chassis plate put on by the factory. The car gets a regular Pa license plate and you are on your way. If anyone in Pa. needs help or guidance, let me know.

Ed Ellers

Chassis 87
    Titanium M12

Quote Originally Posted by msmillerus
    Can anyone tell me what is required to register a Noble in the state of California?
    In CA, a Noble can be registered as a "special construction vehicle" and you can find details of the process on the DMV website
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns_main.htm
    Although it takes a little time and effort, the process is pretty straight forward. The key step is getting one of the 500 sequence numbers that become available on the first working day of each calendar year. FYI, the first day they were available in 2005 was January 3rd, and all 500 numbers were gone by the January 4th, so the demand is pretty high. You must have basic information (including the manufacturer's MSO for your car) and forms filled out before you apply for the sequence number, but the car does not have to be inspected or running at the time you apply for a sequence number--that comes later. I know of at least 5 Nobles (including my own) that have been successfully registered in CA using this process.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

Quote Originally Posted by msmillerus
    As we all know, but sometimes seem to forget, is that cash will always get it done. And I mean legally. It's just amazing how the brain's ability to recall information, the speed of that recall, and the perkiness with which that information is communicated are all substantially improved by introducing a specific external stimulus.

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and the Noble world having just purchased a 2004 M12 GTO 3R. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that getting my car registered in California would be as difficult as its proven to be. Does anyone know if SB100 is the only way to get my car registered in CA. Is there any way to circumvent SB100 since all the exemptions have already been assigned for the year? If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it because I do not want my car sitting in the garage for the next five months, especially considering how much fun I have driving it.