Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Registration Info

Yeah, there is a very detailed explanation in this thread somewhere and I studied it thoroughly like I was studying for an exam when I did my CA registration. Basically, to get a "kit car" registered in CA, you have to put it down as Special Construction or "SPCNS" on the title as the manufacturer, being that presumably you built it yourself or paid someone to do it, who is not a car factory. Being that it's not a factory built car, it then is exempt from certain things like smog and 3rd brake light requirements of factory cars.

But they limit the number to 500 SPCNS titles per year for whatever reason. Guess they don't want the streets to be running over with tons and tons of SPCNS cars in CA? So, as each SPCNS application came in, they assigned a sequence number start at 1 and going to 500. When it hit 500, they stop SPCNS registrations for the year.

In any event, it used to be that if you didn't go to the DMV bright and early on Jan. 1 or whatever first day they opened, you didn't get your sequence number and have to wait another year because they would assign 500 within that morning. Now, guess the tide slowed down, and in 2012, I got my number in October, and it was in the 300's and Tiger got #262 in November, 2014.
    Nothing clever to see here!!

Got my title. SPCNS and year is 0000. The year as 0000 is on the checklist for the DMV clerk to put in as well.

Guess all went well. Hopefully also has the smog exempt will know for sure in two years I guess.

Cheers

Just got my car registered, just to add/update Oynx's original post:

Nevada - Las Vegas and surrounding areas

Process:
    1. Insure your car. Must be Nevada insurance.

2. Go to the DMV and get VIN inspection with the car.
    - They will tell you to get the engine ID'ed. Your SMOG requirements are based on the engine. Ie. If the engine shows as a 1994, you'll need a sniffer test. If the engine shows as a 1996 or newer, you'll need to pass OBD2 requirements. *More on this later.

3. Go to the DMV Emissions lab on Sahara and Eastern with the car.
    - They'll open the clam and make sure that the engine has all of the proper emission items as stated for the year of the engine.

Now you can register & license the vehicle. Pay the fees (Sahara one took checks and even credit cards), get your license plate, leave.

Notes
    - Rossions are easy to register, as they have working OBD2 plugs... making the SMOG piece a cake-walk.
    - Nobles that do not have working OBD2 plugs... you have two options: 1. Register in Nye County. 2. Pay someone to install a working OBD2 plug.
    - Nye County, over the hump in Pahrump has no SMOG requirements. To register the car in Nye County, you must show that the car is insured to an address in Nye County. If your insurance card shows a Pahrump address, they'll register the car to a Pahrump address. However, I'm guessing the insurance company wants to insure the car to the address it'll be stored at most of the time.
    - There is talk that, pre-1996 vehicles will no longer need to be SMOGGED as of July 1st, 2015 in Clark County. I have only heard from friends who own shops talk about this. There are some articles about only needing SMOG ever other year, much like how Utah does it...which is stated to begin on July 1st, 2015.
    - *If, by some weird miracle, you have a Noble with a 1994 engine in it, and the above point becomes true, no SMOG will be required in Clark County starting July 1st, 2015. I don't know why anyone would put a 1995 or older motor in a Noble, but, DMV Emissions Lab didn't verify the engine code stamping... they just took the letter I had and located the emissions equipment.

Congrats. wish I knew it was that easy. sold my car based on not seeing a way around obd. glad you made it through.

Colorado Update.

I just registered NUS0078 in Jefferson County Colorado from out of state.
    I went to Air Care Colorado for a VIN verification.
    After a quick (we are talking about 1 min kind of quick) visual we did some paperwork.
    Original paperwork they gave me had a "Make" of Noble.
    Went to the Jeffco DMV and after a couple double checks, they asked for the Emissions paperwork. I didn't think a Component car needed emissions???
    They told me that the "Make" needs to say "KitCar" for it to be exempt from emissions.
    Back to Air Care Colorado
    2 min later, new piece of paper that says I own a "KitCar"
    Back to Jeffco DMV, one BIG check (sales tax) later, I have license plates, and the car is exempt from emissions.

I sort of got the opinion that everyone involved would really have preferred to be doing something else, but the fat guy is being polite so give him what he wants and maybe he will go away. They were correct.

Good day

Im strugeling to locate the Vin/chasy no of a nobile rassion Q1 looked everywere.

any sugestions where its located?

Name:  IMG_20151204_150049.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  420.1 KBOn my Noble the VIN which you may or may not have was located in the driver door sill. The Chassis number on drivers side top of frame rail engine compartment, tag and also punched into framed rail. Does the title have a 17 digit VIN?

Quote Originally Posted by henriswiegers View Post
    Good day

Im strugeling to locate the Vin/chasy no of a nobile rassion Q1 looked everywere.

any sugestions where its located?
    Driver side, rear frame topside. Lift up the rear clam. Shouldn't be hard to spot that little stainless steel chassis number plaque on the black frame. Mine doesn't have a VIN plaque. CA just used the chassis number, but they did stick a smog exemption sticker on the passenger door side where cooch's VIN is.
    Nothing clever to see here!!

Hello Everyone,

After a long search I was fortunate enough to now own #125. Picked this up from Reno a few weeks ago and loving it! I have read this thread and about a thousand other threads about the SB100 Cert so I have a good handle on what I need to do. Question is does anyone have any experience with any CHP offices or BAR Stations that are familiar with our cars than others? I am located in Downey Cali. in other words I don't want to go to a BAR station who is not familiar with our cars and open a can of worms and have my car taken away or something.
    Thanks in advance everyone!

Also a local DMV that is also familiar with the SB 100 process?

I also read that the SB100 certs are also avail at anytime is this true?

http://bauerltd.com/the-magical-sb10...in-california/