Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Registration Info

Welcome to the forum and Nobility!
    Although the SB100 route for CA registration is "tried and true", the major issues associated wtih getting a sequence # are sort of it's Achilles heel. I sure don't know of any options, though. Given that the car falls short of both national and state new car regs, it can only be registered as some kind of "special construction". I think that Dean R. at 1g has been trying to uncover a non-SB100 option in CA, but I don't know if he has made any progress on that front.
    I don't know if this tack will work, but you can try approaching your local DMV with all the paperwork complete for an SB100 registration and offer to pay the associated fees up front to kind of put the registration in suspense until you can complete the process early next year. Under those conditions, they may give you a 3-month temp driving permit.
    BTW, how 'bout sharing some details on the car and your location in CA?
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

For the rest of us who are getting ready to register in CALIFORNIA, I checked with CA DMV http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm and I believe the following list to be correct.

Have I forgotten anything, is the order correct??

1. Reg 343: Application for title and registration.

2. Vehicle Verification: with CHP.

3. Reg 5036: Statement of construction AND bill(s) of sale from 1g Racing, Snakebite Performance, AER Manufacturing, and your technician/installer if you used one.

4. Reg 256: used to comply with bond requirements.

5. Proof of Ownership: invoices, certificate of origin, etc, (see #3).

6. Official Brake and Light adjustment certificates.

7. A Weight Certificate: if appropriate. (? not sure about this one?)

8. Fees Due (Use Tax may also be due): bring your Check Book and your Driver's License.

---HERE IS WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING---

9a. A Smog Certificate: if appropriate (?)

-OR-

9b. A SPCNS Certificate of Sequence. Only 500 available per year in CA. Bring a cellular phone to DMV office and arrive early for your 8am appointment on JANUARY 2, 2006 that you set at least 3 weeks earlier. Why the cell phone? -to call the Sacramento office for your SPCNS # because chances are the DMV clerk behind the counter will not want to wait on hold for an hour, so you offer to help (you will make their day). Remember to SMILE because the day after New Years Eve and DMV do not mix... Have ALL of the previous 8 ITEMS complete and in your possession. I have heard 9b is the way to go.

10. Welcome to California.

Any CALIFORNIA COMMENTS?
    '05 M400 #117 wingless
    '08 MDX tech, sport & entertainment -can you do .84g in an SUV?
    '06 Civic Hybrid 92hp and it's the fastest 'single occupant' car in L.A...
    '01 Vino stupid fun
    '91 CRX 2.0 liter Vtec, 315 supercharged hp, sleepy HF...

Good summary, Ian--and welcome to Nobility !
    A few comments, though:
    --you don't need 6 or 7 because you have an MSO from the factory for a rolling chassis, which makes the Noble a component car rather than a kit car.
    --you need to start with 9b (because you don't have the paperwork to do 9a) and you won't be able to do 2 until you have the official sequence # paperwork issued by the state, which may take a month after you apply.
    --I kind of doubt that your local DMV office will permit you get involved in their discussions with Sacrememto--but it may be worth a try.
    --One added step is that you have to visit a local BAR station after the CHP inspection to get the final SPCNS sticker (and a reference smog test).

BTW, I think DMV appointment reservations become available 4 weeks ahead of time.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Joel; 09-03-2005 at 03:51 PM.
    Joel

'17 Ford Focus RS

JOEL,

Thank you for your help, I will be ready Jan. 2nd! What city do you live in? I'm in Rolling Hills Estates.
    '05 M400 #117 wingless
    '01 Vino stupid fun

Any time.
    I'm in the Bay Area (Livermore, to be specific), so not exactly neighbors even though we share the mysteries of the CA DMV .
    Joel

'17 Ford Focus RS

Default Oregon

Oregon is slam-dunk easy. I registered mine there when I picked it up in Portland before shipping it home to Hawaii. The permanent plates just arrived this week. Now I just have to worry about my home state.

What about New York State, my state of residence, the bureaucracy capital of the United States, including its DMV?

California is still accepting appointments for January 3 if you want to go the SB100 registration route. If you don't have an appointment yet, GET ONE.

Arrive early, as you may be able to cut to the front of the line if somebody is late. They take the next appointment on the list FIRST, even if they are for a later time.

Don't forget your paperwork.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by S.J.Morgan
    California is still accepting appointments for January 3 if you want to go the SB100 registration route. If you don't have an appointment yet, GET ONE.

Arrive early, as you may be able to cut to the front of the line if somebody is late. They take the next appointment on the list FIRST, even if they are for a later time.

Don't forget your paperwork.

Good Luck!
    Listen to Jan. Get an appointment EARLY and call again to double check that appointment time (the DMV has been known to screw up, believe it or not). Make sure you don't miss out.
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

Quote Originally Posted by Al Pettee
    What about New York State, my state of residence, the bureaucracy capital of the United States, including its DMV?
    California is worse than NY, but the worst has to Missouri -check out that post!!
    '05 M400 #117 wingless
    '01 Vino stupid fun