Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Registration Info

Quote Originally Posted by M400#117
    California is worse than NY, but the worst has to Missouri -check out that post!!
    At least I finally stopped bleeding from it. My head was sore for months from banging it on walls and phones while dealing with them. The therapy was also somewhat helpful (twitch, twitch)

LOL
    -- Mike
    04 Noble M12 GTO-3R (Robb and Hoover)
    http://www.turbohoses.com/Nobleperformance.htm
    97 3000GT VR-4
    00 Dakota Sport

I had to postpone my registration since my car is under the knife. I wonder if I could go SB100 even tho my car was previously registered out of state?
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."
    Noble: 05 M12, M400 turbos, RPI water/oil cooling, RPI Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Brav
    I had to postpone my registration since my car is under the knife. I wonder if I could go SB100 even tho my car was previously registered out of state?
    It would be nice to get an authoritative answer to this question, but I suspect that SB100 registration is not possible in this case. When you do an SB100/special construction registration, you need receipts that show that you purchased individual chassis/motor/drivetrain components. So I don't think the process will work if you can only show a bill of sale for a completed car that had been registered elsewhere.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

OK,

So I've got the car in build, the shop will be giving me an invoice for the DMV since it won't be finished before Jan 3.

Got my invoices from 1G, Snakebite and AER.

Filled out my application for Title / Registration.

Filled out the statement of construction.

Have my appointment for the 3rd (1st business day) @ 8am.

By my understanding of this forum post, I've got everything I need to get the ball rolling. (Not able to do the CHP or SMOG stuff until I get everything else done, of course.)

Have I missed anything? (This is for the State of California, by the way.)

JM

Manufacturer Certificate of Origin and insurance?
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

Yes, original of MSO certificate is essential. (You should have received the MSO from 1G.) You may not need to show proof of insurance unless you are requesting a temp driving permit right away. The permit is only good for 3 months, so you don't need to get one until you can actually drive the car. One subtle point on the invoices is that the forms you fill out with the cost #s on them only say that you can produce invoices, if requested. That is, the invoices are not actaully part of the "packge" that goes to Sac. I had my paid invoices with me, but was never asked to show them and never did. Volunteering info not explicity asked for is sometimes not a good thing.
    Last edited by Joel; 12-28-2005 at 04:57 PM.
    Joel

'17 Ford Focus RS

Thanks for the information. I've got the MSO - just forgot to list it earlier.

From what I read in your replies, I just turn up with certificate of insurance once the car's finished and I get a temporary permit?

JM

Yes, that should work if all the other paperwork is taken care of, and you have a sequence #. Insurance for the car while it is at your installer's shop is his responsibiltiy. But once you have the car on the road to do the CHP and BAR inspections you'll need the T-permit.
    Joel

'17 Ford Focus RS

One more thing to mention.
    Unless the procedure has been streamlined (and that's unlikely) it probably will take multiple hours after you make an SB100 reg application on Tuesday for your local CA DMV to actually issue an official sequence # for your car. It took almost 4 hours last year for me to get the official word, and I know someone in San Jose who had to wait 6 hours after starting at the same time I did. So plan on doing some local errands with your cell phone on while you wait.
    Joel

'17 Ford Focus RS

Quote Originally Posted by rleach
    Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and the Noble world having just purchased a 2004 M12 GTO 3R. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that getting my car registered in California would be as difficult as its proven to be. Does anyone know if SB100 is the only way to get my car registered in CA. Is there any way to circumvent SB100 since all the exemptions have already been assigned for the year? If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it because I do not want my car sitting in the garage for the next five months, especially considering how much fun I have driving it.
    What difficulties have you had?

It is straight forward now that the laws have been changed. You can just register it as a Special Construction Vehicle and smog it every two years. You may need to install an Evaporative system on it, but that is not at all difficult, and has no effect on performance.

SB100 is the best, as you get an exempt sticker and you never have to get smogged again. I hope that you have your appointment, and be at the DMV at 0530 January 3rd so that you will be first in line. By close of business, all of the numbers will be gone.

Under the new law ("conventional registration"), your car will probably be smogged as a 94 or 95 car (it should pass if it was built properly, with cats and original Noble ECU), or what ever NON OBD2 year you can talk the Ref into. You will have to smog it every two years, just as you would a new Saturn, or any other car.

You need your paperwork (previous posts have covered this perfectly) in order. Go to the DMV. Register the car as special construction, go to the State Referee and negotiate (yes, negotiate) your year smog test. Pass and get your tags and BAR sticker.

Now, you have an ordinary car, with smog checks every two years.

See, they want you to license your car. The Great State of California wants the fees.

Money doesn't do anything for you except to pay your fees. Too many DMV employees have been busted for taking money, falsefying paperwork and issuing illegal licenses. Maybe that is how the DMV works in TX? High bid gets a registration?

The best thing that an owner can do is KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT THE CAR THAT IS NECESSARY FOR IT TO PASS BOTH THE DMV AND REFEREE. You need to have the right answers, and all the right paperwork.

Check out the California Bureau of Auto Repair website www.autorepair.ca.gov ("Smog Check Inspection for Specially Constructed Vehicles") for more information on registering Special Construction Vehicles (identified as: SPCNS by the DMV)

Really, this is no different than registering any other car. Rather than go to a Test Only station for smog, you have to go to the State Referee. Not much difference. If you have everything as it should be, it takes about 20 minutes, including the wait.

This not Missouri.