Thread: heat management as a daily driver

Default heat management as a daily driver

I'm using my stock M400 as a daily driver. Oil temps seem to hang between 80-100f during daily operation with ambient temps in the 40-50f range.

I know I'm supposed to let the engine run for some time after shutdown but I still see significant oil temp spikes above 100f.

How long should I run it for after a regular commute kinda drive? how about a more spirited drive where oil goes to 100f?

I know I could install a turbo timer, but I don't mind just chilling out and checking my email while waiting for her to cool down.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Ross
    2006 M400 (143 of 220) [SOLD]
    2002 Van Diemen Zetec Formula Continental
    2003 Porsche 911 GT3
    2005 Land Rover HSE

Ross,

If you have the Noble oil gauge, its reading in C not F. If you were operating at those temps in F, you would have real problems (mass overcooling).

Anyhow, a turbo timer is very helpful if installed correctly. It can mess things up with the alarm if not done right. It will still work, but you wont be able to arm the alarm until after the ignition is shut off. Needs an additional relay or two.

You shouldnt be too concerned with oil temps with regards to cooldown. The cooldown is meant for the turbos, not really the engine oil, although they are somewhat related. Having an M400, your turbos are also watercooled which helps most after shutdown. Unless you are pushing your car hard then just shutting it off, you shouldnt worry too much. Just drive it easy (no boost) for a few miles before you turn it off.

What you are trying to avoid is excessive heat build up in the turbos that in turn cokes the oil inside of it since it is not flowing. You want the turbos to cool down, not necessarily the oil. I usually see my oil temps rise a bit as I sit stationary wtih the engine on.
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."
    Noble: 05 M12, M400 turbos, RPI water/oil cooling, RPI Exhaust

Hi Ross
    Something you may want to consider is converting your stock water pump to an electric. this will allow you to have post shut down water flow to both your engine and turbos without keeping the motor running.
    This is done with a simple timer that can be programed to run up to several minutes.
    This works better if for instance you just pulled into your garage and you don't want to run the engine in an enclosed space.
    An added benifit is you free up the engine load needed to run the old water pump.The stock altenator and battery will be fine however for about two hundred bucks your altenator can be upgraded to put out 150 to 200 amps.
    The biggest benifit of this upgrade is the idle speed output. stock is allmost nill at idle while an upgrade will give you 50 to 75 amps at idle. Big advantage if running air,stereos or fans in traffic.
    Good luck
    Michael

Oil temps of 80-100 (celcius on your gauge as mentioned by Brav) are pretty much where you want them. For the street you may not need to do anything. I would wait to see how the temps look when you drive in warmer weather and then determine how much more oil cooling you need to accomadate the type of driving you are doing. I am sure you would find higher temps on the track (like 140c and above as I experienced) but if you don't intend on doing any track driving then you may end up being fine.
    Rich

'05 Noble M400 #063 Indigo Blue
    '68 Dodge Charger R/T (owned since new)
    '65 Shelby Cobra Recreation (Kirkham)
    '74 Pantera

http://richsd.smugmug.com/Cars

Quote Originally Posted by harley View Post
    Hi Ross
    Something you may want to consider is converting your stock water pump to an electric. this will allow you to have post shut down water flow to both your engine and turbos without keeping the motor running.
    This is done with a simple timer that can be programed to run up to several minutes.
    This works better if for instance you just pulled into your garage and you don't want to run the engine in an enclosed space.
    An added benifit is you free up the engine load needed to run the old water pump.The stock altenator and battery will be fine however for about two hundred bucks your altenator can be upgraded to put out 150 to 200 amps.
    The biggest benifit of this upgrade is the idle speed output. stock is allmost nill at idle while an upgrade will give you 50 to 75 amps at idle. Big advantage if running air,stereos or fans in traffic.
    Good luck
    Michael
    Dear Michael,
    Have you gone electric for your water pump? I've been toying with this idea but Plans are not at all keen and have talked me out of it. If you have I am very interested to hear more;

Did you need to upgrade the alternator to drive the pump?
    Have you got thermostatic flow control?
    Has it worked?
    Did you remove the old mechanical impeller?
    Did you remove the old themostat?

Looks like you're aiming for title of master tinkerer.
    Regards
    Paul C