Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo blankets

Default Turbo blankets

These are from Greg Robb. Nicely crafted, but embarrassingly expensive! Don't ask!

Nothing but the best(?) for m'Noble.
    Ferrari 308GTSi.
    Lotus Elise, SY, SCCA T2 legal.
    Noble M400, 515bhp.

Looks like very high quality pieces.

What type of exhaust wrap did you get for the downpipes and exhaust?
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxM400
    What type of exhaust wrap did you get for the downpipes and exhaust?
    Haven't ordered them yet, but I thought I'd emulate you and use the same copper wrap for the downpipes as well as the Jet-Hot 2000 for the manifolds. Also will have Lizardskin for the firewall, etc.
    Ferrari 308GTSi.
    Lotus Elise, SY, SCCA T2 legal.
    Noble M400, 515bhp.

Quote Originally Posted by No Lotus
    These are from Greg Robb. Nicely crafted, but embarrassingly expensive! Don't ask!

Nothing but the best(?) for m'Noble.
    It may be worth the money.

I think I cooked my HeatShieldProducts one already.

Bizarre looking, especially since the copper heat wrap is in absolutely immaculate condition.
    RacePrecision GotApex

Default turbo blankets

I am certainly not an expert but am only repeating what I heard from two very experienceed racers/shop owners here. They cautioned me against doing any kind of exhaust wrap or turbo blankets. The said their experience has been that if you keep the heat insulated and contained into the metal it will cause heat fatigue in the metal much quicker than normal. They also said that race teams with big budgets do this because the parts get traded out quicker than they would fatigue anyway. Their recommmendation for heat shielding on exhaust was to ceramic coat the INSIDE of the pipes to keep the heat contained, but contained away from the metal. I have no data on this but it made some sense if you want to extend the metal lifetime. Dean

In my view, this is kind of a 2-edge sword. As Dean says, from a racer's and/or performance standpoint, you want to lose as little heat from the exhaust gases as possible when you are on the track because that heat represents a significant part of the energy available in these gases to accelerate the exhaust flow and drive the turbos. (And, BTW the exhaust headers on the M12 are delivered with an internal ceramic coating to reduce heat conduction loses from the exhaust system and enhance flow.)
    But from an engineering and materials science standpoint, retaining that heat after engine shutdown (as a turbo blanket would do) is certain to be ultimately detrimental to turbo component durability. In scientific terms, the majority of internal material damage mechanisms are thermally activated, which means that the longer a material is hot the more likely it is that microstructural changes will be introduced that will eventually lead to material failure. So, I guess you could say turbo blankets are a trade-off when it comes to turbo performance, but with more than 20 years of research experience in materials science, I would not consider putting them on my car as a means of heat management. There are certainly better ways to manage turbo heat after shutdown as is evident in all of the production turbo equipped cars on the market that combine high performance (Lotus, Mitsubishi) and long turbo life (50K mile warranties) without resorting to turbo blankets.
    Last edited by Joel; 05-08-2005 at 11:35 AM.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

I ahev not been too worried about the rear turbo as it is not a place where the air is trapped like it is on the front turbo. I just ordered an additional black mesh oval grille like the ones in the top of the rear clam. I am going to have a hole cut behind the rear window on the clam and install the grille. Even considering putting a small fan to suck air up and out of there. I have also turned both of the bottom louvers so they both scoop air towards the rear of the car. If this doesn't get enough of the hot air out of the front of the engine bay behind the cabin, I'll have to add M400 scoops. DT

I'd say, as with all things, it's a compromise. The blanket keeps heat from reaching other nearby components, as well as keeps the flow of exhaust gases from cooling & losing energy. On the flip side, it keeps the turbo temperatures high. The factory does not recommend this with the car. I personally wouldn't do this with a non-watercooled turbo.

Honestly, I've never heard of a turbo failure due to turbo exhaust housing or turbine wheel/blades. Those two things last pretty much forever unless something solid gets thrown through there (and that's normally on the intake side). What normally goes is the bearing, which is not covered by the blanket. Worst case senario heat wise is a non-watercooled sleeve-bearing turbo. The US model M400 has the best case senario: watercooled, full floating dual row ball bearing cartridge turbo.
    RacePrecision GotApex

For those not wanting a full blanket, HKS makes a shield for their GT28/GT30:

Of course, there's the much cheaper kind, without the HKS name:

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=BCS
    RacePrecision GotApex

Onyx, I forgot you have watercooled turbos. The blanket is probaly less of any issue for you than for us with M12s and no watercooling.