Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throttle body leaking!

Default Throttle body leaking!

Wanted to know if anyone would know how to get a new throttle body? Mine is leaking through the throttle plate shaft on both ends. Anyone else with this problem? I would think it is a off the shelf part some where.

Thanks!

I doubt if the gas seal is meant to be perfect there--a little air leak isn't going to hurt anything. AFAIK the only thing to worry about in that area is excessive play in the throttle plate shaft bearings that would make the throttle plate loose or maybe bind up as it moves.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '06 Audi A3 3.2
    '10 Lotus Evora

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I doubt if the gas seal is meant to be perfect there--a little air leak isn't going to hurt anything. AFAIK the only thing to worry about in that area is excessive play in the throttle plate shaft bearings that would make the throttle plate loose or maybe bind up as it moves.
    Leaking throttle shaft is the main reason to replace the throttle body. It usually takes 100,000 miles to wear out a throttle body.

Of course, there would be a specific problem caused by this (rough or erratic idle would be one scenario, a result of unmetered air entering through the shaft). Otherwise, there is no reason to replace it.

The throttle plate shaft can be rebushed. I use brass bushings with O-rings. If I may pose a question, how was it determined the shaft was leaking. Iam just curious after spending 25+ years working with driveability issues for new car manufacturers. Larry

Well I installed a new ECU from hoover and was having some idle and driveabilty issues so I have been told to do a smoke test to check for leaks. Well they are $1,000 to purchase a new smoke tester and most service garges do not have them. So I decided to come up with another way and tell me if I am wrong but I decided to pressure the engine with compressed air set at 15PSI and check with soap and water to check for leaks. I thought maybe my intercooler or so may have a hole but I heard a air leak and it turned out to be comming from the throttle body shaft. I took the unit of and a bench test and in fact it is leaking from both sieds of that shaft. It would seem that it would be bad to leak there and it is a pretty big leak too.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by csxt016 View Post
    Well I installed a new ECU from hoover and was having some idle and driveabilty issues so I have been told to do a smoke test to check for leaks. Well they are $1,000 to purchase a new smoke tester and most service garges do not have them. So I decided to come up with another way and tell me if I am wrong but I decided to pressure the engine with compressed air set at 15PSI and check with soap and water to check for leaks. I thought maybe my intercooler or so may have a hole but I heard a air leak and it turned out to be comming from the throttle body shaft. I took the unit of and a bench test and in fact it is leaking from both sieds of that shaft. It would seem that it would be bad to leak there and it is a pretty big leak too.

Mike

If the throttle shaft rattles, it may be too loose. Otherwise, some leakage might be evident even in a new throttle body, as they are just a bearing fit for the shaft.

The throttle body is cheap, so you can replace it and see if you have the same problem.

Have you checked your throttle position sensor?

Nothing beats a smoke test, especially when checking out Noble vacuum/pressure plumbing.

Just wondering...Did you have the idle and drivability issue BEFORE you had the ECU re programmed?

I guess I'm not surprised the shaft seals would "fail" that kind of test. But on the pressure side, the turbos have plenty of excess capacity to overcome a leak like that; and on the vacuum side the negative pressure is much less. What does your manifold pressure gauge read at idle and at full boost? Have you tried listening at key joints with a stethoscope? Either of those tests should tell you if you have a big leak. Unfortunately, the problem leaks are often small and therefore hard to detect w/o "smoke".
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '06 Audi A3 3.2
    '10 Lotus Evora

I do not understand. The fact that there is a leak at the throttle body is ok but somewhere else is ok! Is the smoke test under any pressure? I guess trying another throttle body may not heart1 Any idea's on how to get one?

My boost gage is between.9 and 1.0 bar at full boost. Idle is .6 bar and throttle position sensor was changed but was ok from the start. The car was running ok before exhaust and ecu upgrade. I still think there is a leak somewhere but thought this was it. Any one know how to get a throttle body for this car? What model car to look for et? I did see some numbers scribed on the throttle body. Should I take it to a ford dealer?

Mike

Yes, I believe it is just a stock Ford 3.0 litre Duratec throttle body. Call the dealer and give them the numbers on the throttle body.