Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M400 Alternator Specs

Default M400 Alternator Specs

Hi Everybody,

This is a great Forum! Thanks for all the great information.

I was wondering if anybody has the Alternator part number, current rating, etc, for the M400?

Thanks in advance,

David

Default i second that

someone out there please list us the info as it appears the stock alternator will not support a big stereo in the car
    Thanks,
    Arty

01 Aprilia Mille R
    54mm Throttle bodies
    evo pressure reg
    evo airbox kit
    evo 54mm velocity stacks
    evo chip
    SP exhaust
    PVM wheels
    Galfer wave rotors
    Brembo radial master cylinder

04 Big Bear Chopper
    100" motor
    250mm rear tire
    dual coil single fire ignition with 2 sparkplugs per cylinder
    Dakota Digital cluster
    dual bottle Nitrous Express nitrous kit
    Brembo rotors and brakes
    braided everything
    chrome everything
    air horns
    custom dual headlites

Wow, I can't believe nobody knows!

David

I think this has came up in the past and has been answered, might search the forum. Will look in a bit.
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."
    Noble: 05 M12, M400 turbos, RPI water/oil cooling, RPI Exhaust

So just how much 0-60 time would be shaved by going to an electric water pump? How much power gained?

There is a question as to the long term viability of the current electric pumps on the market. I had a system (well, a couple of different manufacturers systems) in my XI, and found that they didn't work for very long under daily use. Max was 6,000 miles before I started to have problems with the motors. It all sounds like a good idea, but in the end it is technology gone wrong. The stock pump works fine (idle in traffic in 115º heat locally without problems at all).

For me, reliability first. Engine driven pumps work pretty well.

If you want a turbo timer, then buy one. If you want a circulation system for the turbos, go ahead. The reality is that the synthetic oils work pretty well, and turbo failures are not the problems that we had a couple of decades ago (though I still have my original '84 AirReseach on my R5T2. A surprise even to me).

I do agree that the alternator should be of a higher output if you are running fans and stereos, but I am not, and find that the battery stays up just fine in every situation that I have been in.

And if the Rossion should have a larger alternator, I would agree that it is a good idea.

The alternator of the Noble is nothing special, and it is easy to have a good rebuilder boost it's output. Just make sure that there is sufficient air flow ducted in to keep it cool.

I am considering putting in an electric water pump in the future to free up some space where the pump and pulleys are. To clear out that area some; where so many pipes, cables,hoses, wires, vacuum, oil line, etc. run between the motor and fuel tank, is appealing to me anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyMopar View Post
    I am considering putting in an electric water pump in the future to free up some space where the pump and pulleys are. To clear out that area some; where so many pipes, cables,hoses, wires, vacuum, oil line, etc. run between the motor and fuel tank, is appealing to me anyhow.
    Just be careful, as they are not really ready for prime time. A couple of manufacturers are doing experiments, but nobody has committed.

My car has over 16000 miles and there are no issues with the belts, hoses or anything else. I don't see any problems with the drives, and the engine assembly has been around with that belt scheme for a decade. It sounds tempting to get rid of some stuff on the front of the engine, but, as the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

During my build I had my alternator reworked to put out a little over 200 amps.Before the rework we put it on the test bench and the stock unit put out just barely over 110 amps.
    Each alternator will be a little different

Thanks Guys,

I'm not sure where the electric water pump discussion came from, but for me, I like to know the current rating and part number for replacement and such. I am updating some of the wiring during the build and noticed that the wire running from the alternator through the center tunnel to the fuse box up front is pretty small and is NOT protected by a fuse.

David

P.S. I always try to search first and i have been through most of the pages on this site. Couldn't find anything. Please let me know if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by harley View Post
    During my build I had my alternator reworked to put out a little over 200 amps.Before the rework we put it on the test bench and the stock unit put out just barely over 110 amps.
    Each alternator will be a little different
    I am surprised, as I thought that the car had a 90 amp. 110 is gravy for that car in standard form. More than adequate for a stock Noble.

120 amps should be adequate for a Noble that has a couple of extra fans. The output of the Ford special purpose vehicle (police and racing) alternator is 160 amps. Plenty unless you are going db racing.