Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Horn------------ie

Quote Originally Posted by kwkslvr View Post
    I think the car horn is possessed . It did it again at a nice restaurant yesterday,I had to unplug the horns. When I got home and re-plugged all was fine. While it was blaring I did get it to stop as long as I pulled hard on the steering wheel,when I let go it blared.
    I have had the thing apart many times looking for the problem and am almost out of ideas.
    Please help if you have anymore ideas for me to try.
    Anymore ideas? What about the switches in the steering wheel? Maybe I can send my wheel to 1 g to replace the horn switches? When I went to ! g to pick up the car they swapped out the original steering wheel for one that looked better.
    I am getting pretty desperate
    Since pulling hard on the steering wheel made it stop, the first thing I'd suspect would be the horn contact ring behind the steering wheel. Try cleaning and re-lubing it. Or, you can replace it with a new one.

If the problem occurs again, try turning the steering wheel from lock to lock to see if the horn shuts off.

I'd also replace the horn relay, just to rule it out as a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Since pulling hard on the steering wheel made it stop, the first thing I'd suspect would be the horn contact ring behind the steering wheel. Try cleaning and re-lubing it. Or, you can replace it with a new one.

If the problem occurs again, try turning the steering wheel from lock to lock to see if the horn shuts off.

I'd also replace the horn relay, just to rule it out as a possibility.
    YOU HAVE A SHORT IN THE HORN WIRING, INSIDE THE STEERING WHEEL HUB. There are a couple of spade connectors, one probably is not taped up and is shorting on the steering wheel or the adapter nut. Take off the pad, check the wiring in the back of the wheel. Then remove the steering wheel from the adapter and check the wires where they run behind the wheel spokes, and the connectors inside the hub.