Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horn------------ie

Default Horn------------ie

I just had a very embarrassing situation. In leaving church this a m. ( my first time to attend this church) I get in the Noble start it up and the horn goes crazy and will not stop blaring one long consistant note. I could not get it to stop. It did stop after about 5 minutes , I guess it got tired,but after a 1 or 2 minute rest it started again for another 3-4 mnutes then it stopped.
    It honked with or without the key in the ignition. I did everything I could think of to get it stopped,nothing worked.
    Now that I am home but before I start messing with it . I was hoping to get anybodys thoughts especially if this has happened to you.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Rick
    Last edited by kwkslvr; 07-29-2007 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwkslvr View Post
    I just had a very embarrassing situation. In leaving church this a m. ( my first time to attend this church) I get in the Noble start it up and the horn goes crazy and will not stop blaring one long consistant note. I could not get it to stop. It did stop after about 5 minutes , I guess it got tired,but after a 1 or 2 minute rest it started again for another 3-4 mnutes then it stopped.
    It honked with or without the key in the ignition. I did everything I could think of to get it stopped,nothing worked.
    Now that I am home but before I start messing with it . I was hoping to get anybodys thoughts especially if this has happened to you.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Rick
    Did you perhaps trigger the alarm system? If not, it sounds like a short in the circuit somewhere giving the horn the ground it needs to honk. Next time it happens, open the front clam and pull the wires off of the horn (in front of the left front wheel) until you can figure out what is causing it.

If it is the alarm it is screwed up. I will unplug the horn now.

thanks
    rick

You can also stop the racket by pulling the horn fuse (fuse 15) or relay (Relay L), which should both be in the fuse panel in the passenger side footwell.

Looking at the schematic, it looks like the horn works by switching the hot side, not the ground. So, a short is not likely to cause the horn to go off like this. I'd check the relay to make sure it's not stuck closed, and check the pin on the trigger side of the relay to see if it has power. If it does have power, then I'd suspect the horn switch...
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-29-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    You can also stop the racket by pulling the horn fuse (fuse 15) or relay (Relay L), which should both be in the fuse panel in the passenger side footwell.

Looking at the schematic, it looks like the horn works by switching the hot side, not the ground. So, a short is not likely to cause the horn to go off like this. I'd check the relay to make sure it's not stuck closed, and check the pin on the trigger side of the relay to see if it has power. If it does have power, then I'd suspect the horn switch...
    Thanks, Jimbo. I didn't have the schematic. I guess I've worked on too many old school cars.

Quote Originally Posted by kwkslvr View Post
    If it is the alarm it is screwed up. I will unplug the horn now.

thanks
    rick
    If it is the alarm, I would be suspicious of the rear clam alarm switch (on the forward firewall). That seems to be the one that causes the most problems, if it isn't operating properly or gets corrosion in it. Maybe you didn't have all of the screws fully turned all the way to lock the rear clam in place?

Just consider yourself lucky you don't have one of these .
    http://www.nobleforums.com/showthrea...light=air+horn

Another possibility might be a bad contact in the steering hub.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Just consider yourself lucky you don't have one of these .
    http://www.nobleforums.com/showthrea...light=air+horn

Another possibility might be a bad contact in the steering hub.
    Boy, that was a long time ago, Joel. One of the first mods I did. Yeah, you need one of these kwkslvr (once you figure out what is wrong, of course). They do the job.

Thanks to all. I will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by caccobra View Post
    Thanks, Jimbo. I didn't have the schematic. I guess I've worked on too many old school cars.
    I was surprised, too, to find that the ground wasn't switched. Then I remembered it was a British car.... 'Nuff said!

BTW, the schematics are in Chapter 8 of the installation manual, so you probably do have them...