Thread: Problem with the turbo engine?? 335i

Smile Problem with the turbo engine?? 335i

Hi everyone, I have a question about my 335i. The 2 turbo tubes at the end of the car (I'm not sure how to describe them), one of them is dark and the other looks just a little dark, much lighter than the other one. Is there something wrong with my turbo engine. My car only has 11,000 miles on it, and it signaled me to pour 1 extra pint of oil because the oil level was low. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the uneven combustion?? on the 2 pipes . I don't know much about car, and would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a question about my 335i. The 2 turbo tubes at the end of the car (I'm not sure how to describe them), one of them is dark and the other looks just a little dark, much lighter than the other one. Is there something wrong with my turbo engine. My car only has 11,000 miles on it, and it signaled me to pour 1 extra pint of oil because the oil level was low. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the uneven combustion?? on the 2 pipes . I don't know much about car, and would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
    Michelle
    Hi Michelle,

Are you talking about the exhaust system that is discolored on one side? I dont think its uncommon for BMWs to be oil thirsty, esp when its still fairly new. The 335i we used to test our products was always in need of "topping off the oil". I know the 335i has a variable exhaust set up from the factory. The valve is on the rear driver side. Is the discolor around that area?
    Eloy
    Race Precision, Inc
    7029 Marcelle Street
    Paramount, CA 90723
    www.raceprecision.com

The important bit of information missing here is how many miles did it take to burn the "pint" of oil. Are you sure that it wasn't a QUART of oil, as oil doesn't come in pints, and the level systems are calibrated in Liters or quarts (about the same size for all intents and purposes). How many miles does it take to burn the quart of oil? What are your service intervals? If you are changing your oil every 14,000 miles, it might not be too unusual to add a quart between changes. However, the consumption of oil in any modern car is almost unheard of.

All of this begs the question...at 11,000 miles, have you ever had the oil changed? My dealer didn't want to see my new Mercedes for 14,000 miles for a first service if there were no other problems. Your BMW probably has the same extended service intervals. If this is so, that one quart may have been used before the engine was broken in.

Watch the oil consumption. Note the mileage between any additions of oil. If it continues to burn oil, complain to the service department. Your engine has a 5 year/50K mile warranty on the engine assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by S.J.Morgan View Post
    However, the consumption of oil in any modern car is almost unheard of.
    Hehe, havent driven any of the new BMWs around eh? Those things love to consume oil.

Anyhow, the dealer will top the oil off and check for any problems for free. Also Michelle, check with the bimmer forums as the owners there will be able to discuss what they have had issues with.
    Eloy
    Race Precision, Inc
    7029 Marcelle Street
    Paramount, CA 90723
    www.raceprecision.com

Quote Originally Posted by rollhard View Post
    Hehe, havent driven any of the new BMWs around eh? Those things love to consume oil.

Anyhow, the dealer will top the oil off and check for any problems for free. Also Michelle, check with the bimmer forums as the owners there will be able to discuss what they have had issues with.
    Love to consume oil? What would that mean? A quart/500 miles?

Had two of the 07 335i turbo 3 series coupes, for a total of 6000 miles and several M3s over the years. No oil consumption at all or addition of oil between extended recommended service intervals on long term test cars driven by several editors. One of the turbo press cars was factory fresh, with 200 miles on it. Maybe a BMW guy was sneaking into the garage and adding oil every day?

Current emissions requirements don't really allow for oil consumption much beyond a pint/5000 miles.

A pint (or even a quart) at 11,000 miles is not much in the way of consumption on a new engine that probably has not had the oil changed yet. A quart might be high, but the actual consumption would not be known until the oil was changed, and run through another cycle. My guess is that after the oil change, there will be no noticeable consumption between changes.

In the last 10 years, I have owned 7 new cars, and NONE of them used any oil at all. These include the Mercedes E500, Two Subaru WRX, GTI, and the Noble. Not even my home rebuilt big bore antediluvian BMC A engines require additional oil between changes.

Love to consume oil? What would that mean? A quart/500 miles?

Had two of the 07 335i turbo 3 series coupes, for a total of 6000 miles and several M3s over the years. No oil consumption at all or addition of oil between extended recommended service intervals on long term test cars driven by several editors. One of the turbo press cars was factory fresh, with 200 miles on it. Maybe a BMW guy was sneaking into the garage and adding oil every day?

Current emissions requirements don't really allow for oil consumption much beyond a pint/5000 miles.

A pint (or even a quart) at 11,000 miles is not much in the way of consumption on a new engine that probably has not had the oil changed yet. A quart might be high, but the actual consumption would not be known until the oil was changed, and run through another cycle. My guess is that after the oil change, there will be no noticeable consumption between changes.

In the last 10 years, I have owned 7 new cars, and NONE of them used any oil at all. These include the Mercedes E500, Two Subaru WRX, GTI, and the Noble. Not even my home rebuilt big bore antediluvian BMC A engines require additional oil between changes.

Pretty much anyone with S85 motor (M5/M6) eats anywhere between 1 liter/500-2000 miles. Quite a bit for a modern engine, and no matter how many ppl complain, BMW says its "within tollerances." They are good about topping off your oil within minutes of pulling into service, unscheduled.
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."
    Noble: 05 M12, M400 turbos, RPI water/oil cooling, RPI Exhaust

Watch the oil consumption. Note the mileage between any additions of oil. If it continues to burn oil, complain to the service department. Your engine has a 5 year/50K mile warranty on the engine assembly.
    This is good advice, but most of the time, the service department won't do anything. According to my BMW documentation, the max oil consumption for non M-Power engines is 0.7 liters/1000 kilometers. For M-Power engines, the max oil consumption is 1.5 liters/1000 kilometers. However, my documentation is from 2005 - these limits may have been changed for the newer engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    This is good advice, but most of the time, the service department won't do anything. According to my BMW documentation, the max oil consumption for non M-Power engines is 0.7 liters/1000 kilometers. For M-Power engines, the max oil consumption is 1.5 liters/1000 kilometers. However, my documentation is from 2005 - these limits may have been changed for the newer engines.
    The oil consumption has been tightened quite a bit. I imagine that an engine running to redline every shift, and run at very high speeds for long periods of time (autobahn use) would have higher consumption. However, that much oil loss should not be tolerated for normal US driving, and there would be no way that the dealer would ignore anyone that brought the car in three times for so much oil loss. The penalty is for BMW to eat the car...Not all of them burn oil like that.

BMW has been down this road before, and replaced a lot of engines. They are still buying engines for older cars, and a few new ones as well. The customer that complains loudest will get satisfaction.