Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georgia titling issues!!!!!

Default Georgia titling issues!!!!!

I am in Georgia and am going to buy an m400, i have read another forum member Harley, has not been able to title his in Georgia. PLEASE someone clue me into this as ive been told titling is no problem!!! I want one but not at the exspense of just simply owning a track car!
    thanks, Bart

There was recently some discussion of this on the Lotus forum:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/show...hlight=georgia

NO!!!!!!!!! this cant be. Does anyone know what i can do? I am a serious buyer and am also a dealer, but do not want to drive around in an untitleable car!

I just spoke to a lawyer friend of mine here in South FL, and there's not much you can do for the time being until the regulation is reverted. We did come up with an idea though, that I used for another purpose once down here. the best thing you can try (and IMMEDIATELY!) is to visit a DMV office on the outskirts of your city or one in a small nearby town. Most of the offices will be briefed of the changes, but not all, and especially not all the officers/employees so quickly. Bring all the necessary paperwork as was mandated before the regulation passed, as well as any action needed on your part. Act completely normal and attempt to register the car. In FL, we can also get it done at the gov't tag agency or certain specifically licensed independent tag agencies (you need to call around first and let them know what you need to do, and if they are able, hall @ss over there and get it done). Once your car is registered, your home free. Note that this new crappy regulation was just recently passed/announced, so you may still have time... BUT GET GOING NOW MAN!!

He said after a try or two of this, then try contacting an attorney who deals with public or gov't issues, as they can usually find a loophole (especially concerning "time" of your purchase and such...) when it's this early in the game.

Either way, if none of this works, don't panic, as it definitely sounds like the regulation will be reverted by the new legislation.

There is one more thing... you can register it together with someone you know from another state and just have legal documentation on a separate level that you are the full owner of the car (you having the only copy). Anything happens, the car was in the state at that time for the "few" months of the year you have it there. Don't you have family or friends elsewhere?? There are a plethora of out of state registered vehicles down here in FL for those who simply own or rent in another state a few months of the year... usually just to pay less sales tax, insurance and other accompanying fees...
    Last edited by Predator; 02-13-2008 at 08:52 PM.
    The Predator

"To Hear is to Doubt, To See is to Deceive, but to Feel is to Believe..."

Ahhh. i was hoping to be able to hear more good news on the reversal of the New Law! What concerns me is i owned a R34 gtr Skyline and bought it in Fl, Fl vin plate and title to boot! Georgia gave me a title # and also registration, then, put me thru 3 months of B.S before telling me they had revoked my title and registration and had "lost" my Florida title! O.k i said and called the guy i had bought it from in FL and asked him to get a lost or stolen title for me to use, when he went in there Florida DMV told him there was an exsisting title in Georgia so no go! After loads of bad noise they reversed their title work in Ga and i was able to recieve another Fl title and i sold the car as soon as i could!
    More than a Lawyer can handle and loopholes are how we got these cars titled to begin with!.Georgia is not playing around any more as i feel they think they are a general dumping ground for "Illegally Imported" cars.....and they are. Also their computers wont allow for shorter than a 17 digit vin they told me! Well any car older than a 1979 has les than 17 digit vin, my65 mustang only has 10! they then explained due to the age of the car, titles are not an issue.

TOTAL B.S!!!!!!!!!!
    stayed up all night researcing this shiite! i appreciate how informed your Forum is an its nice to actually have answers that arent from an uneducated 14 year old, like on the Nissan forums... no offense to them.

Man, I am sure glad that I live in Liberal, Tree Hugging, Smog Testing, Gun Hating California!

Georgia and Alabama were once havens for acquiring titles for Gray Market and other strange vehicles that would be registered out of state.

It appears that your DMV is giving you some real problems. Trying another DMV may be the way to go, but it looks like you have quite a battle ahead. I can't see how they could deprive you of the use of a car that would be otherwise legal in the other 49 states.

Time to lawyer up.

Sad.
    Moving may be cheaper than hiring a lawyer to "fight City Hall", though .
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

amen to that brother! LOL
    Well the M400 i was to buy has been sold the day before i got ahold of seller! upset it was the only one ive really been on fire about! shame
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by bartm400 View Post
    amen to that brother! LOL
    Well the M400 i was to buy has been sold the day before i got ahold of seller! upset it was the only one ive really been on fire about! shame

Don't give up man! Believe me, it's worth it...

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Sad.
    A bunch of us fixed the CA laws. It took a couple of years, but our argument was that fees could be collected. Hopefully, in a couple of years, we may up the number of sequence numbers.

State governments usually don't turn down an opportunity to make additional revenues.