Thread: freon amount

Default freon amount

Does any remember the amount of freon to go into the air conditioning system without it being over charged and then going into an on-off cycle? I seem to remember 1.2# or 1.4# from an evacuated system but not sure.

Thanks

Don't know the exact amount, but it's not freon (I doubt you can even by freon anymore)--you need to use R134a according to the install manual. I don't think you have to worry too much about the quantity of refrigerant you use, though, because you just fill the system until it doesn't take any more--it only takes what it needs.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

Default correction:R134a amount

Thanks Joel,

Yes, you are correct in that the unit uses R134a. I misspoke when I said freon (R-12) and to your point they are not interchangeable. I just used the "common" term for ease. But it does matter on the Noble as over filling the A/C unit will cause it to cycle off when the engine is above idle. It is somewhat less than what is in the "green" area on a R134a pressure gauge. 1G told me the issue and amount a year ago and I forgot to write it down and my memory is fuzzy.

FlyNoble

69 Lotus elan
    88 M3
    02 M3 SMG
    04 Noble

According to Mike E. at 1g, the correct amount of A/C charge is 1.4 lbs or 22 oz. Please note that the Installation Manual in Chapter 7, on page 9 says 2.6 lbs or 41.97 oz. This is an error in the Manual according to Mike E.

Quote Originally Posted by caccobra View Post
    According to Mike E. at 1g, the correct amount of A/C charge is 1.4 lbs or 22 oz. Please note that the Installation Manual in Chapter 7, on page 9 says 2.6 lbs or 41.97 oz. This is an error in the Manual according to Mike E.

FYI

there is no correct fixed figure, IMHO, there is only one way to charge the a/c correctly, and it generally ends up around 2.5 lbs. that is to use the super the heat theory during charging, with that said, I would target 12 degrees super heat at 2100 rpm's. also if the expansion valve refuses to ring, or oscillate, as I have found in multiple cases, it needs replacing. in other words, if the exp valve is hung, then the a/c will only be charge correctly at a particular rpm/ambient temp/cabin temp.
    Troy
    -Troy Fralick
    troy@nobleupgrades.com
    Tallahassee Speed Shop, Inc.
    5338 Gateway Drive
    Tallahassee, Fl 32303
    850-597-8919
    904-838-9150 cell
    And
    Remade by Hand, Inc.
    Porsche Restorations
    173 McCallister Rd