Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tail light bulbs

Default Tail light bulbs

Does anyone know the part numbers and where to source bulbs for the rear tail lights? I have a brake light out. Thanks!

Before you go trying to take the back cover off to get to the bulbs (it's a bitch because they are glued on with hard glue and they have to be cut off carefully), make sure that the plastic connector for the tail lights (on the left rear frame rail above the left rear tailpipe) is not corroded internally or not fully pushed together. This is a common problem that causes tail lights on one side or another not to work. If, after checking that connector, you determine that it is a bad bulb, there is a section toward the back of the assembly manual that gives you step by step instructions along with photos on how to take the housings apart. The bulbs should be readily available at any auto parts store.

There is so much condensation in the housing, I fear it's the bulb and not the connector, but I'll pull the connector apart, see if it needs a little dielectric lube, and hopefully that will fix the issue.

I almost want to take the housing apart just to drain the water... There must be a crack or separation in the sealant.

I wonder if anyone makes LED "bulbs" to replace the standard ones? I saw the entire LED taillight insert over in the UK, but the noobs didn't make it fit the original housing and then made it look like a cheap Japanese toy, rather than a useful and practical upgrade. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by linesplice View Post
    There is so much condensation in the housing, I fear it's the bulb and not the connector, but I'll pull the connector apart, see if it needs a little dielectric lube, and hopefully that will fix the issue.

I almost want to take the housing apart just to drain the water... There must be a crack or separation in the sealant.

I wonder if anyone makes LED "bulbs" to replace the standard ones? I saw the entire LED taillight insert over in the UK, but the noobs didn't make it fit the original housing and then made it look like a cheap Japanese toy, rather than a useful and practical upgrade. Oh well.
    There are LED replacements.

Liquid Wrench works well in getting rid of corrosion. Boeshield T9 works best, and ensures a good electrical contact. Great for bulb sockets and battery terminals.

It's hard to get the housing apart. I occasionally will use a Mighty Vac or my power Vacula to suck the fluid out of tail light housings. Much easier.

If you do end up taking the housing apart, you can make an access panel cutout on the back side of the plastic housing and silicone it back in place. That way it will be much easier if you have to do it again. As far as the condensation/water, the best thing to do is make a vent hole at the bottom of the tail light it self. I have to do mine again after I thought it was sealed tight, I guess not, venting will solve the problem.
    S54 M Coupe Pheonix Yellow/Black (rare bird)
    S52 M Coupe Estoril/Estoril (show queen)
    E60 M5 Dinan S3R Stroker (family hauler)
    997.1TT RST600 (Beast)

gone, but not forgotten...
    #160 M400 Troy Tuned - Red Mica - (RCKT PWR)

Default tail lights

So, I finally got around to removing the tail light housing on the inside of the fender. What a @#$% job that was.

I open it up and there must be about 4 ounces of frozen liquid in there. Everything looked sealed up, but no such luck I guess.

I had purchased a 12v27/5W bulb to replace the brake light bulb that had blown out, but when I removed it that bulb indicated it was a 12v27/8W. Maybe I just read the wrong number somewhere, but can someone confirm the correct bulb?

I also looked at LED replacements, and it would seem either the LED's aren't as bright as the incandescent units or their light throw is at a much narrower angle or they just don't bounce off the reflector very well, and so they are ultimately not as good. I think I'll buy a few different types and see what the results are and let you all know.

Here are a few pictures (just because):

Quote Originally Posted by MicaM400 View Post
    If you do end up taking the housing apart, you can make an access panel cutout on the back side of the plastic housing and silicone it back in place. That way it will be much easier if you have to do it again. As far as the condensation/water, the best thing to do is make a vent hole at the bottom of the tail light it self. I have to do mine again after I thought it was sealed tight, I guess not, venting will solve the problem.
    Just thinking out loud, because I haven't had to replace any bulbs yet, but wouldn't it be easier to just do the cutout you mention with a dremel tool (or something like that), rather than go through the full removal of the housing? That black stuff looks like concrete.

Linesplice, what tool did you use to remove the housing?

I "borrowed" and modified something for the removal, however to protect myself from verbal Female abuse, I will not self-incriminate by disclosing the instrument of choice (it's in one of the photographs if you look close).

For a minute I thought that you uses some sort of particularly female device. I can see that it's a kitchen knife. Anyway, you did a nice clean job.

Those bulbs are the euro type. My Mercedes uses them. Generally, you can find them at NAPA. The US versions may not fit well into the sockets.

I had to replace an entire tail light unit and I kept the guts and bulbs. When I go back out to the garage tomorrow to finish crating up our "new" engine, I'll look at the numbers on the bulbs and let you know what I find.

How you making out with our wonderful MA RMV?
    Paul Wilson
    Manager
    Team Cassin