Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HID Lights

1. Default HID Lights

How hard is it to convert the headlights to HID, using a kit like this

Would there be any modifications needed?

http://www.nobleforums.com/showthread.php?t=394

http://www.nobleforums.com/showthread.php?t=771

These days, digital balasts are definitely worthwhile. 50w are brighter than the 35w choices. Pick the right kind of bulbs.
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxM400 View Post
    http://www.nobleforums.com/showthread.php?t=394

http://www.nobleforums.com/showthread.php?t=771

These days, digital balasts are definitely worthwhile. 50w are brighter than the 35w choices. Pick the right kind of bulbs.

Doh, forgot about the search feature!

Quote Originally Posted by colossians323 View Post
    Doh, forgot about the search feature!
    Liar
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."
    Noble: 05 M12, M400 turbos, RPI water/oil cooling, RPI Exhaust

Just what ever you do, don't mount the ballast to the back of the plastic headlight housing, that will create another point of entry for water or moisture intrusion. I know, I had to redo the entire lighting assembly & housing, then have it re-sealed air tight.
    S54 M Coupe Pheonix Yellow/Black (rare bird)
    S52 M Coupe Estoril/Estoril (show queen)
    E60 M5 Dinan S3R Stroker (family hauler)
    997.1TT RST600 (Beast)

gone, but not forgotten...
    #160 M400 Troy Tuned - Red Mica - (RCKT PWR)

I recently installed HID low beam lights and it was a pretty easy Saturday morning project. The one thing that made the project easy was having a large wood drill bit (3/4” is what my kit needed) to drill the hole in the plastic housing to a run the wires through. I provided photos below. Make sure to have the right size hole (do a test on a piece of cardboard first. To large a hole and the house will leak.

The only think I would say is make sure to see if you can find a HID kit that has the wires to the bulbs that are not permanently attached so that if in the future you need to replace the bulb all you have to replace is the bulb not the bulb and all the wires that go to the ballast.

When I purchased my kit one bulb immediately blew out and I am presently waiting for a replacement. The company and I are disagreeing on whose fault the bulb blew out is. I say bad bulb, they say bad installation. It is presently in my credit card company’s hands to resolve. Now I have the old bulbs in and have taped up the holes in the headlight housing as we get this resolved.

The one bulb that worked looked great but if you ever have a defective bulb or need to replace you have to do them in pairs because the bulbs need to be from the same lot so they match in color.

As for other pointers I installed my ballast two different ways and found running the wires down at the bottom (photo that you can read the 35w) of the housing seems better. The kit I purchased has a dual glue foam installation that is used to mount the ballast. You may be able to see them in the photos. I would recommend making sure to have on hand a better glue (high strength boating epoxy is what I used) and use that instead of the glue on the foam. Make sure to clean the area really well where you mount the ballast so it holds. I also used plastic wire ties as a backup safety in the event that the glue fails.

Mark - M12

7. Default

The ballast doesnt't get to hot for the plastic?

I was not thinking that the ballast get to hot.

I am not running 55w bubs or ballasts and I do not beleive the 55w ballast gets much hotter than the 35w ballast. By locating the ballast in an open air space you give it the ability to dissipate the heat. My ballast gets warm but not extremely hot.

I was saying that the bulb gets hot. A 55w bulb will be substantially hotter than a 35w bulb. A 55w bulb used as a the low beam (continuously on) will generate a lot of heat and the reflective metal lens will push that heat to the plastic cover infront. There is no ventilation or heat dissipation in the lens area.

The final item is that a 55w bulb as a low beam may be illegal because it is so bright and even if it is not we should consider other drivers and looky-lues. We have to remember that people will be staring at the car because it is such a great car you do not want to blind them when they are doing so.

That is where my ballast is mounted, and it doesn't get too hot. The problem was that it wasn't sealed all the way and had some water intrusion. My ignitors are actually inside the headlight housing and only the ballasts are mounted on the backside.
    S54 M Coupe Pheonix Yellow/Black (rare bird)
    S52 M Coupe Estoril/Estoril (show queen)
    E60 M5 Dinan S3R Stroker (family hauler)
    997.1TT RST600 (Beast)

gone, but not forgotten...
    #160 M400 Troy Tuned - Red Mica - (RCKT PWR)

I think the stock lights are modest. I am also not in favor of super bright lights. I run and some of the lights are blinding in the mornings (Lexus seems to be the worst offender). My preferences aside, this seems like a $300 upgrade to do both low and high beams and it takes an H9 bulb from your descriptions. Has the extra heat discolored the inside of the perspex covers at all for those of you who have some time on the installation now?
    Philip