Thread: Tail light housing access panel review

Default Tail light housing access panel review

I have had all kinds of drama with the tail light bulbs and moisture intrusion, and as we know it is a PITA to replace a bulb if one goes out! So, as a recommendation from some other fellow Noble owners a while back I decided that if I have to take the frggin tail light cover off one more time I will make an easy, secure and seal proof access panel to get to the tail light bulbs and assembly. Here is the review on the project.

First you will need a few simple basic tools. You also will want to have the tail light cover assembly removed so the area for the access panel can be most accurately traced.

- Phillips screw driver (to remove the tail light assembly screws)
    - Di-electric grease (make sure to thoroughly cover all contacts on the bulb and bulb socket, mine were a tiny bit corroded and had to be cleaned first)
    - New Phillips long life bulbs (better be safe than sorry and have to replace one bulb again in the near future)
    - Utility knife with new blade
    - Automotive grade black silicone sealant

Once you have the tail light housing/access panel removed, trace the area on the back side of the panel in the general area that you see below in picture #1. I made the area big enough to have access to all the bulbs in the taillight, but not too big to still have some structural integrity in the access panel itself. I first tried to use a dremel with a cut-off wheel, using a dremel proved to be in efficient and it made too large of a gap so the panel would not fit tightly back into place and "sit" on the surface of the tail light housing. After my first cut with the Dremel cut off wheel at the top I tried my utility knife with a fresh new blade. The plastic is not that thick or dense so the new blade cut through the panel with ease. It is VERY important to note that when cutting the plastic you cut it at a 45'deg angle with the blade pointed towards the inside so when you are finished cutting the access panel it will sit nicely and have a good seal with the silicone. Remember measure three times and cut once. After your done seal it off with a bead of silicone and you are finished! It is easy to remove, just take a thin razor or the utility blade and cut through the layer of silicone in a minute or two.

It came out very clean looking and no one has even taken notice. This solved the long complained about PITA tail light access.

S54 M Coupe Pheonix Yellow/Black (rare bird)
    S52 M Coupe Estoril/Estoril (show queen)
    E60 M5 Dinan S3R Stroker (family hauler)
    997.1TT RST600 (Beast)

gone, but not forgotten...
    #160 M400 Troy Tuned - Red Mica - (RCKT PWR)

Can you access all the light bulbs from that smaller panel? I found that the brake light could be accessed, but not the turn and running lights...

Yes. I made the access panel large enough to access all of the bulbs.
    S54 M Coupe Pheonix Yellow/Black (rare bird)
    S52 M Coupe Estoril/Estoril (show queen)
    E60 M5 Dinan S3R Stroker (family hauler)
    997.1TT RST600 (Beast)

gone, but not forgotten...
    #160 M400 Troy Tuned - Red Mica - (RCKT PWR)