Thread: Turbo Blankets for M400

Default Turbo Blankets for M400

oioon ooio [pooi[oip[o
    Last edited by m0nitor; 04-04-2007 at 12:22 PM.

There is a topic on this already here
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."
    Noble: 05 M12, M400 turbos, RPI water/oil cooling, RPI Exhaust

FYI, the topic also was mentioned on PH today:
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...6&f=26&h=0&p=2
    where Matt Faulks, the UK Noble after market guru, indicated that an improved stand-off heat shield design is a better solution.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

Another thing to note. The US market M400 uses water cooled dual cartridge ball bearing GT28R turbos, which may (or may not) handle heat differently than the European model.

Oh yeah, another side note. My engine is coming out, and I'm upgrading my turbos, among other things. So, I'll take some pictures of how my GT28R turbos handled the heat of the turbo blankets.
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxM400
    Oh yeah, another side note. My engine is coming out, and I'm upgrading my turbos, among other things. So, I'll take some pictures of how my GT28R turbos handled the heat of the turbo blankets.
    What are you getting, disco potatoes?? What are you going to do for software?

For what it is worth, some people would argue that putting on a turbo blanket will accelerate metal fatigue in the turbo housing, bearings, etc.

I am trying to figure out to get more airflow to the front turbo and move the heat away not keep the heat in. I am told the turbo blankets used on serious race cars don't matter because the turbos get changed after x races anyway. I was strongly discouraged from putting blankets on by two ex-Porsche turbo mechanics. Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Brav
    What are you getting, disco potatoes?? What are you going to do for software?
    I haven't decided yet. It's one of 3, all very similar:

1. Disco Potato (not sure if .64 or .86 AR yet)
    2. GT2560RS (new version of Disco Potato)
    3. HKS GT2530 (built off of Disco Potato)

In terms of software, also haven't decided yet. Lots of playing around to do. First order of business is figuring out how to strengthen the tranny though.
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

I'll take your hand-me-downs