Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flywheel, our rather heavy one.

Default Flywheel, our rather heavy one.

Here it is, in all its glory:

I need to get a scale of some sort to measure exactly how much it weighs.

Was only able to use a bathroom scale, but looks to be 19lbs (+ or - 1lb probably).

I wonder if there are any decent alternatives. I'm not kean on having them lightened since its hard to know if you can really trust their expertise.

sold : M12 GTO3

I contacted these guys:

http://www.fidanza.com/products.html

Overall, they have a great reputation, from what I understand.

We'll see if anything comes of it.

Measured it with a slightly better scale. 18.2 lbs.

First guesses are that it may be the flywheel from the Ford Contour SVT. Unfortunately, my local Ford dealership isn't set up to look for what car the part numbers match up to. They actually have to go down year by year, model by model to find that out. Sort of reminds me of that hotel I stayed at in Hawaii that had all visitor info on handwritten cards.

Confirmed by my local Ford Dealer. Flywheel comes from 98-00 Ford Contour SVT.

Here are a few common choices:

Fidanza/SPEC Aluminum flywheel. Milled 6061 T6 billet aluminum body, 1050 high carbon alloy steel for 1/4" friction plate, heat treated & pressed. Grade 8 button screws, military grade. Stepped dowel. 9.0lbs.

Not exact pict:

Unorthodox Racing Aluminum flywheel. CNC machined 6061-T6 billet aluminum body. Steel friction insert. .001" tolerances. 10lbs

Stillen Aluminum flywheel. Billet aluminum, ? friction surface. 12lbs.

The fidanza one looks prettiest

Not entirely sure this a worthwhile mod?

It's definitely not for everyone. I personally do like the feel of lightened flywheels. There's an immediacy to the throttle response that matches well to the character of a sportscar, IMHO. They way they explain it, instead of using, say, 40hp to spin up the flywheel, it takes 1/2 of that. Whether that part is true or not, only the dyno will say.

The Fidanza is about $319 or so, plus shipping here in the States, and there's really no install cost if your engine isn't in yet. Overall, not too bad.

I'm still kinda debating.

Will it make much odds on a turbo engine though? There's going to be a perceived lag anyway?

I quite like the idea of a light fly wheel for doing heal and toe changes etc. I just love how it sounds when the revs drop quickly. Not a good justification though!