Thread: Power Curve on Stock M400?

Default Power Curve on Stock M400?

(Well, pretty stock, slightly larger IC and heat mitigation.)

Halfway through break-in (oil change Friday) and wondering if anyone has a fairly stock power curve (hp vs rpm) to look at. I'd rather use that for shift points and common sense than using my internal sensing.

Meanwhile, sure is nice cruising the rural roads of Ohio, taking twisties in a whole new way and listening to that weird BOV sneeze...

thanks,
    Doug in Cincinnati

Doug,

Why not take your car over to Eric and put it on the dyno? Shouldn't take but a few pulls to get a great idea of proper shift points....and it will also show if the mapping and tune are spot on..... Your going to have to call ahead though, the shop is full!

All,
    I'm really more interested in the shape of the curve than absolute values (though I do hope to hell it makes more than my Vishnu-moddded Evo). I'd consider having it dyno's at Performance, but until I get broken in, anyone got DATA?
    Doug in Cincinnati

Help me Doug? What do you mean exactly?

I drove mine the first 1K never exceeding 3500RPM (and it was still the most enjoyable car I have driven), at Torik's direction. On the highway, I just constantly adjusted RPM's from the floor in 4th 5th and 6th to 3500. And, I exited the freeway every 10 miles and did the same in 1 2 and 3. Long trip back to Dallas from Ohio.
    We will have plenty of time to rest when we're DEAD!!!!

It doesn't really matter if the Noble makes less power than your modified EVO. The Noble weighs about 900 lbs less to start with.

As far as finding some esoteric shift points, you already know that turbo cars seem to produce power right to redline if they have adequate fuel.

What you need to do is find a dyno shop with an eddy current dyno, or a dual roller rolling road, and do a pull to determine a couple of things.

First, you need to know if you can produce the power, and if the engine noses over at high boost. This usually means that you may need more pump pressure, or a better boost tracking fuel pressure regulator. This will ensure that you get the power, and that you are not getting into detonation due to inadequate fuel flow.

Second, you need to see where the power is, and how much is available.

When you are done, you will find that you will be doing your shifting at about the redline, or perhaps 250 RPM below. Of course, if you do every shift at that level, it would be an act of social irresponsibility.

The rolling road or eddy current dynos can put a load on the drive train, simulating a hill or a cruise situation. This can be used to test for detonation or lean Fuel/Air without having to run the thing to redline for every test.

Of course, these dynos are rare, because they produce a more accurate HP number, which is lower by about 50 HP at the 300 HP level when compared to the identical run on a common Dynojet. The shop that has a rolling road is far more serious than the average shop with a Dynojet to wow the customers with their own HP ratings.

I think we would all love to see the M400 dyno plot.

I have the standard M12 and the 400hp M12 dyno plots. If you get one, send it to me and I will overlay them all on the same graph for the group.

(Yes, I know there are differences between dyno, but it will give us some referance at least)

Dean