Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 92

Thread: Registering in CA / Tried Today!!?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Leandro, CA
    Posts
    504
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Registering in CA / Tried Today!!?

    Hello everyone,
    To all the CA owners that have registered their vehicle in CA. Today was the first day I went to the DMV to pay for my registration and to get the process started. I payed my fees and they issued a a temporary permit, and then told me to proceed to the back of the building with the vehicle for an inspection. When the guy came out back he started to look for a VIN, I explained to him there was no VIN number so he walked back in and came out a few minutes later with a Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number Plate? He said he could not finish the verification until I went to the CHP office to obtain a VIN. I haven't heard of this on the forum so I don't know if he did the correct steps?
    Do I need to finish vehicle verification before I can get a SB100 at the beginning of the year? Just wondering? Thanks

    -Hooverized Monza Red Noble M400 - Sold. Chassis 119 - 515hp - Record for Longest Distance Traveled @ one time.
    -1969 Datsun 510 - All original / 56k Original Miles
    -2016 Kia Sorrento SX - The Commuter and Family Hauler
    -1960 Impala Convertible - Frame off Restoration in Viper Red. A Pops and I Project
    E63s Estate - Giddy up wagon
    Ford Focus ST - Shop Car
    ____________________________________________
    President - SS Customs - www.SSCAmerica.com

  2. #2

    Default

    You will have to go through the SB100 process.. there are lots of threads about this. Its much easier if the car has been registered out of state, this is what I had done. You have to get everything done before hand with inspection, yes. You should already have an assigned VIN in the car as I did from FL, and in some cases they will re-use this. Others they will give you a new one.. its a bit arbitrary and ambiguous, depending on mood/knowledge of the officer. My guy in Santa Ana was quite easy, as he munched on his chocolate chip cookie.
    Last edited by Brav; 12-01-2009 at 12:35 PM.
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."
    Noble: 05 M12, M400 turbos, RPI water/oil cooling, RPI Exhaust

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    2,625
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedIlluzionz.com View Post
    Hello everyone,
    To all the CA owners that have registered their vehicle in CA. Today was the first day I went to the DMV to pay for my registration and to get the process started. I payed my fees and they issued a a temporary permit, and then told me to proceed to the back of the building with the vehicle for an inspection. When the guy came out back he started to look for a VIN, I explained to him there was no VIN number so he walked back in and came out a few minutes later with a Application for Assigned Vehicle Identification Number Plate? He said he could not finish the verification until I went to the CHP office to obtain a VIN. I haven't heard of this on the forum so I don't know if he did the correct steps?
    Do I need to finish vehicle verification before I can get a SB100 at the beginning of the year? Just wondering? Thanks
    Short answer is yes and it is easy. Just go to the local CHP office and they'll do the plate. At least, that's how I remember it.
    Robert

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Leandro, CA
    Posts
    504
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Thanks guys. Also, do I have to have to have the CHP issue a VIN before I can do my SB100? When I spoke to the CHP officer, he said that the SB100 was a Smog exempt form and had nothing to do with them or their VIN issuing. Just wondering if that was correct? Thanks

    -Hooverized Monza Red Noble M400 - Sold. Chassis 119 - 515hp - Record for Longest Distance Traveled @ one time.
    -1969 Datsun 510 - All original / 56k Original Miles
    -2016 Kia Sorrento SX - The Commuter and Family Hauler
    -1960 Impala Convertible - Frame off Restoration in Viper Red. A Pops and I Project
    E63s Estate - Giddy up wagon
    Ford Focus ST - Shop Car
    ____________________________________________
    President - SS Customs - www.SSCAmerica.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,237
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Info is confusing depending on the history of the car. I can only speak for a brand new car and registration that was done in 2005--in that case, I had to have the SB100 "sequence number" before the CHP inspection could be done since they use that number to access the DMV records before issuing a CA VIN. But, I must stress, your situation is different since you have a previously registered out-of-state car, so Brav's experience is more relevant.
    Joel

    '67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    2,625
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Info is confusing depending on the history of the car. I can only speak for a brand new car and registration that was done in 2005--in that case, I had to have the SB100 "sequence number" before the CHP inspection could be done since they use that number to access the DMV records before issuing a CA VIN. But, I must stress, your situation is different since you have a previously registered out-of-state car, so Brav's experience is more relevant.
    Mine was the absolute opposite. I went to the CHP early on, way before getting the SBA number (the last thing). Man...we're being very helpful here, aren't we Joel?
    Robert

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    376
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Do they ever deny a 3mo temporary registration, or multiple ones in a year? If I can't find a Noble until January, will it be difficult in obtaining four 3mo temp registrations so I can drive it until the SB100 opportunity in 2011?

    I've read through all the other threads and this was not clear; thought I'd ask while there was a fresh thread. Thanks. Sorry for sidetracking TI!
    -Kevin

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    2,625
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by default View Post
    Do they ever deny a 3mo temporary registration, or multiple ones in a year? If I can't find a Noble until January, will it be difficult in obtaining four 3mo temp registrations so I can drive it until the SB100 opportunity in 2011?

    I've read through all the other threads and this was not clear; thought I'd ask while there was a fresh thread. Thanks. Sorry for sidetracking TI!
    I took delivery and got my temp in May. I had no problem getting "serial temps" until the following Jan. 2
    Robert

  9. #9

    Default

    I got temps for a whole year.. just make friends w dmv employee. Again, this is such a rare event for DMV that each persons experience is pretty unique.. However I did the same exact thing as you, and they re-used the existing VIN on mine.. isnt there one on your door jamb somewhere now? If your car was previously registered out of state, there has to be one somewhere.
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."
    Noble: 05 M12, M400 turbos, RPI water/oil cooling, RPI Exhaust

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, California
    Posts
    536
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedIlluzionz.com View Post
    Thanks guys. Also, do I have to have to have the CHP issue a VIN before I can do my SB100? When I spoke to the CHP officer, he said that the SB100 was a Smog exempt form and had nothing to do with them or their VIN issuing. Just wondering if that was correct? Thanks
    My understanding is that you can get your SB100 sequence number without CHP verification and VIN can happen after. This process seems so complicated than even some DMV people don't understand it!

    I am about to post my fees and ask for a temp registration on Dec 9'th. I am using Thousand Oaks DMV, since they seem to understand the process more than anyone so far. The have also done a number of Noble's and Q1's...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •