Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECU Relocation Finished

Default ECU Relocation Finished

Finally finished relocating ECU, relays and fuses.

Extra relays and fuses added for fuel pump and gesrbox cooler pump.

Last edited by peterguk; 05-03-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Nice install.......
    Drew
    Monza Red M400 #96 Sold
    2011 S550
    2013 ML 63
    1968 chevy C10
    trophy truck
    Hennessy Viper
    Widebody SL 550

Beautiful job.
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

Glad to see you have been busy Peter! THis is behind the passenger seat? Did you have to lengthen cables or just re-route?
    Philip

Thanks guys. Took some time, but i'm happy with the result.

Quote Originally Posted by pma1010 View Post
    Glad to see you have been busy Peter! THis is behind the passenger seat? Did you have to lengthen cables or just re-route?
    Philip
    Hi Phil. Yes, behind the right-hand seat (our driver's - your passenger's).

ECU wires are unchanged, but just about all the others needed lengthening.

I ordered wire in the correct colours and mm2, and each joint is soldered/heatshrunk, with all the joints staggered to keep the loom a tight diameter.

Took ages to source the relays ( i wanted new old stock, not s/h), as the current Bosch relays are plastic bodied and don't fit next to each other in the cascaded bases.

Peter that is such a neat install, looking to do similar to mine.

Beautiful. Once again, it makes one ponder what Lee was thinking about when he put it where he did..

Ron

You guys must not go on lengthy enough drives to need that space for packing stuff. I've replaced my MBE, but the new ECU is in the same neighborhood as the old one. My hiking buddy's backpack goes behind the seat.

Jeff

If you drive your car hard enough, like the track guys do, you run the risk of melting the relays and fuses, and overheating the ECU. It's better with a single-turbo setup, but it can still happen. Relocating the ECU solves that problem, and also protects everything from the elements, so you have less problems with things like relay bases corroding, etc. Relocation also eliminates the chance that a snapped serpentine belt can whip over and rip out all that wiring.

Fortunately for me (and the car!), I don't treat my Noble as a race car. It's a driver that will see the occasional track day. I get crabby if I don't get to drive it every day.

That said, I'm having a hard time understanding how a rear turbo setup could radiate enough heat to melt relays and fuses, even in a race car. It sounds like a thermal management deficiency.

Jeff