Thread: Driver dies at Fontana yesterday

Default Driver dies at Fontana yesterday

The details are sketchy, but this much I know. A 24 year old woman who was attending one of those "Drive Way Out of Your Mind in a Car You Have No Business Driving" events put on by Andretti Racing died at Fontana yesterday when she hit a wall and flipped over. They apparently sell 8 minute drives in 600 hp/160 mph open wheel cars. How sad. You sure have to question the widsom of those types of events.
    Robert

Wow, was she the driver or the passenger?
    Wilson

" For power, buy the Corvette.
    For weight, buy the Exige.
    For handling, buy the GT3.
    If you are looking for all three, buy the Noble. "

By Godzilla...

I've only seen the Petty Nascar school there, I've never watched the Andretti Driving Experience. But I don't think there are any passengers....I think she was the driver. However like I said, the details out there are very few so I'm sure we'll hear more about it in the coming days and weeks.
    Robert

4. Default

-- Mike
    04 Noble M12 GTO-3R (Robb and Hoover)
    http://www.turbohoses.com/Nobleperformance.htm
    97 3000GT VR-4
    00 Dakota Sport

First time watching a video of Fontana was your video on youtube, Grapeman. I was nervous just watching it and you even backed off at 140ish iirc. That high of speed around an oval is scary!
    -Kevin

Wow...that's not supposed to be able to happen. The rollbar is generally measured to have enough clearance over the helmet so you can't hit your head. And the HANS keeps everything in place. Wonder if one of those two safety elements were faulty...?

Quote Originally Posted by Zezinho View Post
    Wow...that's not supposed to be able to happen. The rollbar is generally measured to have enough clearance over the helmet so you can't hit your head. And the HANS keeps everything in place. Wonder if one of those two safety elements were faulty...?
    Do they use a Hans device? I have no idea. I've never seen them run. And who knows what killed her. Maybe she hit the wall so hard that she died from that impact. It's really sad....
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by default View Post

First time watching a video of Fontana was your video on youtube, Grapeman. I was nervous just watching it and you even backed off at 140ish iirc. That high of speed around an oval is scary!
    The worst thing a driver can do when coming into that turn too fast is panic and lift suddenly, or worse yet, hit the brakes. That would guaranty disaster. It's not a place for an inexperienced driver in a rented race car.
    Robert