Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's this?

Default What's this?

I have not seen this on other nobles. Anyone knows what this is?
    Attachment 6388

It is the OBD2 port but it does not work. There is no signal from it. On a normal car you could plug a code reader into it and read diagnostic codes from it.

All Noble have it. Since it is non-functioning each most installers tucked them away.
    Scott Starkey
    2005 Red Noble M400
    #09 Spec Miata / ITA Miata WDC SCCA MARRS

It is the same connector used in the ODB-II standard and it is connected to the ECU, but the ECU does not use the OBD-II standard protocol on this connector, so it will not interface to an OBD-II reader or analyzer. It does, however, function if you have the right hardware and software from MBE. It provides a faster programming interface to the MBE than the serial (DB9) connector on the engine harness does.

It's a car wash water collector.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by 9secz View Post
    It's a car wash water collector.

Jeff
    LOL
    Thanks Guys

Mine seems to be working. A tuner from RPI pluged it in to his lap top to work on the tune.

I need to bump this thread for some info... I'm trying to register my M12 in Oregon and am getting grief from DEQ for not having a functioning OBD2 port, can we use the serial port and a serial-to-OBD2 converter cable so they can green light me? Can an OBD2 connection ever be established without changing EMSs?

Quote Originally Posted by Exigenesis View Post
    I need to bump this thread for some info... I'm trying to register my M12 in Oregon and am getting grief from DEQ for not having a functioning OBD2 port, can we use the serial port and a serial-to-OBD2 converter cable so they can green light me? Can an OBD2 connection ever be established without changing EMSs?
    If you have the stock ECU, MBE 975D, the ECU is NOT OBDII compliant in architechture.
    Gregg A. Imel

Exigenesis - check out the registration thread for info, but in general, you need to go the way of Kit Car because there is no OBDII hook up, problably http://www.dmv.org/or-oregon/custom-built-cars.php . Different states have different requirements for Kit Car Registrations (smog, mechanical inspections, etc).

Hat tip, gents. I've scoured the Registrations thread and pushed the kit car concept to DMV/DEQ until I turned blue in the face, they are not a rational group of thinkers though and keep spouting the same "all vehicles 1998 and newer must have OBD2 to be blah blah blah..." rhetoric. I'll take it in for one more attempt at reasoning with them, then get a residence outside the emissions boundaries and never have to smog or OBD check again. Thanks for the input.