Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Lift

Default No Lift

... at the apex is a no-brainer. But for those of us without the coveted 2 and 4 post lifts, what's the easiest way to get the car up on jack stands for tunnel vent work? And for belly pan removal?

Rhino Ramps? The Hulk?

On my other cars I put a low profile jack under the differential or front cross member and drop the car on jack stands. No such luck with the Noble.

Thanks!
    John

2. Default

I use a low profile jack. Use the rear side jacking point as the manual shows. Lift side to side on jackstands.
    -- Mike
    04 Noble M12 GTO-3R (Robb and Hoover)
    http://www.turbohoses.com/Nobleperformance.htm
    97 3000GT VR-4
    00 Dakota Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Muenter View Post
    I use a low profile jack. Use the rear side jacking point as the manual shows. Lift side to side on jackstands.
    Dittos.

My microscopic garage has no place for a lift, and my wife refuses to even consider moving.

Jeff

Thanks, sure takes a whole lot less effort to lift than your average car. I have new found respect for people working in the tunnel!

Heard something rolling around and worried it was a nut or bolt. Probably one of the many stones I found, residents from the drive from Hoover's to Seattle... in the snow.

One thing I dislike about used cars is that invariably half the belly pan screw receivers are stripped. Do I have much material to play with to step up the guage or at least UNC thread?

Be very careful if you jack the car up from the side - if you go too high, there's a chance that the jack will kick out due to the angle and slipperiness of the aluminum floor. It's a good idea to degrease the bottom of the car where you're going to place the jack, along with the pad on the jack. To be on the safe side, I usually slide the jack in from the rear of the car, and place the pad under the bar with the rear motor mount. You will need to use a jack with a flat pad (not a cupped pad) to avoid cracking the diffuser or denting the belly pan. From there, you can raise the entire rear of the car (both rear wheels) high enough to put stands under the chassis. If you put the rear wheels up on blocks like these, it makes the belly pan a little easier to remove than putting the car up on jack stands.

6. Default

True on the too high at once. I should have added this is to get to the minimum jack stand height. Then repeat back and forth for higher. Paranoid equals safe in this case.
    -- Mike
    04 Noble M12 GTO-3R (Robb and Hoover)
    http://www.turbohoses.com/Nobleperformance.htm
    97 3000GT VR-4
    00 Dakota Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I usually slide the jack in from the rear of the car, and place the pad under the bar with the rear motor mount. You will need to use a jack with a flat pad (not a cupped pad) to avoid cracking the diffuser or denting the belly pan. From there, you can raise the entire rear of the car (both rear wheels) high enough to put stands under the chassis. If you put the rear wheels up on blocks like these, it makes the belly pan a little easier to remove than putting the car up on jack stands.
    Thanks... I have those racing blocks. Can you show a diagram of the best area to jack the car using the same method but in the front?

Front is usually too low to get a jack under, unless you roll the car up on ramps. Most of the time I just use two jacks, one on each side using the stock jack points, to lift the front of the car evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Front is usually too low to get a jack under, unless you roll the car up on ramps. Most of the time I just use two jacks, one on each side using the stock jack points, to lift the front of the car evenly.
    Cool... thats what I was gonna do in the first place. Nice to see you are doing the same.

This is what I currently do also. I picked up the low profile jack from Griot's Garage which I highly recommend. Strong, reliable and lovely to use. I also got a set of the ESCO jack stands which are awesome.

Griot's Jack
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...+floor+jack.do

ESCO Jack Stands
    http://www.mile-x.com/Esco-10498-3-Ton-Jack-Stand.aspx

This set up works well, until I get that lift in place....