Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alarm power drain for longer storage

Default Alarm power drain for longer storage

Hey all,
    I'm moving to san francisco and will only be paying for one parking spot in the city.

I'm going to store the M400 down on the peninsula near my office. It is shared by a few people who I don't know and would like to keep the alarm enabled just in case.

Back on my lotus, I could keep the car parked for a few weeks with the alarm off in my garage, but only a week or so with it enabled.

Does the Noble have the same power drain with the alarm on? How bad is it?

Can I pull the microwave (motion) sensor fuse to extend the battery life? If so, how much?

Thanks!
    Last edited by default; 01-10-2011 at 09:55 AM.
    -Kevin

Oh, and the car won't be near an outlet.

I don't think a product exists that I could use (or I just can't find it). Which is basically a portable battery tender.

IE - plug it in at home, fill up the battery on the tender. Go into the garage, plug it in with no outlet and it will charge the battery.

Anyone know if this exists? Googled for a while but came up with nothing.
    -Kevin

Hmm--might be violating a law of physics there .

Off hand I think your best bet is to find a different storage area that has some power available since the battery will not hold up more than 1-2 weeks, especially in cold weather. Have you considered Club Auto Sport in San Jose. I'm sure they are not cheap, but it's a great facility with 24/7 security.
    (PS: Rob Dietsch moved his shop there and may be able to help out with a contact.)
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

There's something fundamentally wrong with living somewhere that you don't even have an electrical outlet where you park your car! And where are you going to put the workbench?
    Robert

My alarm system drains my battery in one week if I don't use the trickle charger.
    Over 3000lbs=boring. 0-60 over 4 seconds=boring. Under 1g=boring. Noble, not boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeman View Post
    There's something fundamentally wrong with living somewhere that you don't even have an electrical outlet where you park your car! And where are you going to put the workbench?
    One thing you can say for sure--you won't be on the "short list" for getting a Nissan Leaf .
    Joel

'17 Ford Focus RS

I agree with Joel. You would need some sort of duel battery set up to pull that off and even if you cant help but to wonder if its going to false alarm and piss someone off. Worst case scenario I would get one of those fake led night rider alarm lights that are lithium powered for a deterrent to atleast keep the honest people out then disable the battary. When I know my car is going to sit for over a week I lock the car and take the negative cable off the battery. It only takes about 30 seconds to do on mine thanks to Hoovers re-routed intercooler plumbing giving me direct access to the battary. This saves me from having to deal with a trickle charger. My car often sits for two months at a time and has never needed to be jumped, knock on wood...

Thanks guys for the replies.

You're right about the alarm going off. I was also thinking I could take the valuables (v1, registration) out of the car and leaving it unlocked. I think the answer is just to drive it home then back to work 1 day a week, or to a long lunch. Darn, I guess I'll have to drive the car more I only put 2k miles on it this year, so maybe that's a good thing.

JMP3, I'll have to check to see, but I'm pretty sure even with my thin arms it would be a mess to get to the battery, but I'll give it a shot, thanks.

And Grapeman - I know, but turbohoses has a pretty big work bench and is somewhat near by! I have a couple friends with garages and every tool possible, if I need to do small things.

It has crossed my mind to sell the car, but only for a split second, I would absolutely hate to do that!
    Last edited by default; 01-10-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    -Kevin

I would also remove the interior motion detector leads that go into the alarm box. That will remove a significant drain on the battery. It is in the owners section.

Scott
    Scott Starkey
    2005 Red Noble M400
    #09 Spec Miata / ITA Miata WDC SCCA MARRS

Quote Originally Posted by default View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies.

You're right about the alarm going off. I was also thinking I could take the valuables (v1, registration) out of the car and leaving it unlocked. I think the answer is just to drive it home then back to work 1 day a week, or to a long lunch. Darn, I guess I'll have to drive the car more I only put 2k miles on it this year, so maybe that's a good thing.

JMP3, I'll have to check to see, but I'm pretty sure even with my thin arms it would be a mess to get to the battery, but I'll give it a shot, thanks.

And Grapeman - I know, but turbohoses has a pretty big work bench and is somewhat near by! I have a couple friends with garages and every tool possible, if I need to do small things.

It has crossed my mind to sell the car, but only for a split second, I would absolutely hate to do that!
    An alternative is a battery disconnect switch:
    http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Discon.../dp/B00099YOV8
    either on the battery itself or at a (secret) remote location that I'm sure Hoover/Jim could help you with.
    Joel

'17 Ford Focus RS