Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine cooling issues.

Default Engine cooling issues.

I am working with a few people to try and help with the heat soak issue, I have access to an experienced glass guy, who is prepared to give of his time to do some mould work, I will have a rear clam at my disposal to make moulds etc, I need your help in deciding the best place to install scoops both for aesthetics and for performance.

There will be a number of options to select from, and hopefully a number of permutations to acheive the best results. Feel free to comment on each and all.

Tim is my Doodle guy with a lot of solo experience, this is number one of a number of options, he needs your input.
    Last edited by Golf nut; 02-20-2006 at 05:15 PM.
    An expert is a drip under pressure.

06 M400 (adopted)
    04 Lexus SC430
    06 Ford King Ranch

You should definitely get the opinion of No Lotus, since he's working with ForcedFed to map out the airflow and downforce. Sounds like a great project. Perhaps we can improve cooling AND aerodynamics as the same time.
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

I am sure (I hope ) they will chime in, Tim is pretty cool when it comes to concepts, I'm just looking for some feeback from a design standpoint. production is a whole new issue.
    Being as the wheel wells and under belly are all sealed the only way out of the rear clam as far as I can see is through the rear grill, area in must equal area out.

06 M400 (adopted)
    04 Lexus SC430
    06 Ford King Ranch

Dear All,
    Good idea for a thread.

Two quick tips;

If its heat cooling checkout the front of the car. The little lip of bodywork at the rear edge of the front on the radiator exit hole(!), I think its called a return. Ever see any dirt/grime/dust flow lines on that? No - never. Remove it. It will improve air flow out of the radiators.

Also check out the top of the rad when the clams closed. Mine ahs a 1-2 inch gap through which you can put your hand. Not good for ensuring airflow through the rad. Fill it with something and make sure that air goes through the rad not over the top.

Regards
    Paul C

Just curious. When have you guys actually experienced a heat soak issue? On the street/track or what conditions.

Jonahtan
    S54 M Coupe Pheonix Yellow/Black (rare bird)
    S52 M Coupe Estoril/Estoril (show queen)
    E60 M5 Dinan S3R Stroker (family hauler)
    997.1TT RST600 (Beast)

gone, but not forgotten...
    #160 M400 Troy Tuned - Red Mica - (RCKT PWR)

Jonathan,

Two separate issues with heat.

Heat soak of the intercooler can happen either a hot day on the track or a hot day in traffic. Insufficent ambient air flow through the intercooler is the culprit. A thermostatically controlled fan mounted on the intercooler has solved the problem for anyone experiencing it thus far. Once the charge air goes above 40 C the ECU reduces power to protect the engine, so the key is to keep the charge air below 40 C.

Excessive heat is also undesirable in the front of the engine bay near the wiring harnesses, fuses and alternator/AC compressor area located near the front turbo. This is why an effort is being made to find ways to improve and control heat dissipation/flow in the engine compartment.

Craig
    Last edited by caccobra; 02-21-2006 at 11:37 AM.

Sweet. How bout getting us some CF clamshells.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cundy
    If its heat cooling checkout the front of the car. The little lip of bodywork at the rear edge of the front on the radiator exit hole(!), I think its called a return. Ever see any dirt/grime/dust flow lines on that? No - never. Remove it. It will improve air flow out of the radiators.

Also check out the top of the rad when the clams closed. Mine has a 1-2 inch gap through which you can put your hand. Not good for ensuring airflow through the rad. Fill it with something and make sure that air goes through the rad not over the top.

Regards
    Paul C
    Cheers Paul

Exactly the type of info I am looking for, everything is appreciated.

I am just trying to cool this baby down a little, It is already likely faster than most of us (me included) can handle, HP isn't a problem to acheive, I would like to make it cooler, more reliable and easier to work on. If it becomes prettier in the process then sobeit.

06 M400 (adopted)
    04 Lexus SC430
    06 Ford King Ranch

I have a source for carbon clams, just have to wait for him to free up some time.
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."
    Noble: 05 M12, M400 turbos, RPI water/oil cooling, RPI Exhaust

Any idea of the cost? If there's enough interest, it might help him free up some time.