Thread: Q1 - AVIC question

Default Q1 - AVIC question

Has anyone upgraded the firmware on their Nav system (AVIC F7010BT)?

I checked and the firmware at present is 2.0 as it came from Rossion. These are considered "old units" for Pioneer and they have an update for firmware and maps. It is 3.0. and came out in 2009.

Supposed to give faster start-up and better over-all.

Not sure if it's worth $130 though.

Firmware upgrades should be free(they sent me an SD card last month to upgrade the firmware at no charge). To upgrade the Map, there is most likely a fee.
    Rossion Q1 Monaco Pearl Orange

Here is the link for free firmware updates. The latest version is 2.06, which you may already have.

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...asp&x=152&y=26

Instructions on how to determine your firmware:
    1. Press the "Menu" button; then touch the "Settings" tab;
    2. Touch the "System Settings" tab; then touch the "Service Information" tab;
    3. The "Map version" number and the "Version" number are both displayed -- please look at the
    "Version" number, which is displayed on the lower line; and
    4. If the "Version" number is "2.000000" or an earlier/smaller number, please install the new
    firmware update. If the "Version" number is "2.006000" or a later/larger number, the system
    has already been updated with the new firmware.
    Rossion Q1 Monaco Pearl Orange

Quote Originally Posted by md993a View Post
    Here is the link for free firmware updates. The latest version is 2.06, which you may already have.

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...asp&x=152&y=26

Instructions on how to determine your firmware:
    1. Press the "Menu" button; then touch the "Settings" tab;
    2. Touch the "System Settings" tab; then touch the "Service Information" tab;
    3. The "Map version" number and the "Version" number are both displayed -- please look at the
    "Version" number, which is displayed on the lower line; and
    4. If the "Version" number is "2.000000" or an earlier/smaller number, please install the new
    firmware update. If the "Version" number is "2.006000" or a later/larger number, the system
    has already been updated with the new firmware.
    Just ordered it. Thanks. I am at 2.0 and they are shipping 2.08

Just a thread update. I was able to update to the 2.08 firmware with online download on Pioneer site:
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/AVIC-F700BT

It also includes install and compatability guides. Scroll down to left of page. It was a total chip shot, even someone with no experience can do this.

Randy Chase also did an excellent write up on disabling the speed restriction for map changes:
    http://www.britishspeed.com/forum/sh...neer-AVIC-F900
    It is so good, it might be worth reprinting and stickying on this forum?

There is also a HUGE website devoted to this unit:
    http://avic411.com/index.php?/forum/31-f-series/ which includes all sort of hacks and mods. Some of the more popular is the 3.x firmware updates, new maps, etc. One of the better write ups for this is at:
    http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/...irmware-image/

This is definitely NOT for the faint of heart. First, you might hit some sketchy web sites to download (I used pirate bay) and have to have a torrent program, then an RAR extractor (I use free winRAR). Read through the instructions, it sounds complicated but if you don't brick the unit you may get quite a bit of it. I'll post later if I follow through on it.

Finally, I looked at iPod controller cables (CD-IU230V). I found one for $1 plus shipping on ebay so it's dirt cheap. There was an existing USB cable in my unit, the iPod was controlled, but not playing right. Pioneers web site says I should be able to play iPod video on screen with these units and the correct cable. Yes- why the hell would you need this as a driver..? Well- I might go on trips with my wife and it would be for her. I already ripped a bunch of dvds to ipod video for my kids... so I have a collection ready to go.

When do we get an update on your first drive?
    Over 3000lbs=boring. 0-60 over 4 seconds=boring. Under 1g=boring. Noble, not boring.

Just replied on my intro thread! Sadly, because of battery and driveway issues I am just now driving the car, ha, ha! The good news is: it made me go over the car for several days while I was waiting for the concrete to harden. So I just ended up digging into stuff like the radio to pass the time.

Hacking Pioneer was the first thing I did while jumping through DMV hoops. This including adding Zeitronix splash screen at startup (sorry Rossion!). Randy's write up and Pioneer message board ware very helpful.

I take it back, First thing I did was removing that annoying buzzer so you can work on any interior pieces and dive under dash without going deaf.

Thanks for the props. Always fun to pioneer mods. Pun intended.

Eric, I am including with my stuff some cabling from the AVIC that was never used. Not that you need it either. but just in case.
    Noble -> Rossion -> Origin