Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q1 jack point

Default Q1 jack point

My plan is to jack up one side by placing my jack roughly under the drivers side door, just high enough to get jackstands in.

Then, do the same on the passengers side.

Can anyone identify the ideal jack and jackstand points? I've attached three pics for this:

1. Side jack point. Red is along the sill; green is inset about 6 inches, along a row of screws which appear to fasten the under-tray to the chassis.

2. Front jack point, behind the front wheel. Again, red is along the sill; green is at what appears to be a chassis intersection.

3. Rear jack point, in front of rear wheel.

What you think? Which color for which pics? Or am I way off?

Thanks!

It can be hard to jack up just one side of the car, because it's so low, and the car balances around like a pendulum sometimes when jacking it up from the side. It can be hard to get it to raise up evenly and still have somewhere to put the stands.

I would recommend jacking the back of the car up from the frame near the start of the rear splitter, if you can get the jack back that far. Try to keep the jack off of the splitter though. Then start putting the jackstands on both sides in the rear, and then move to the sides and jack them up more to get the front stands in. It can be a long and interesting process

The best spot for the stand is at the frame intersections (where the lines of screws intersect. There is a diagram in the Noble build manual.

Interesting, thanks, I've seen the illustration in the m400 manual and wondered if it's applicable to the Q1.

As for the frame intersections, I believe that's what depicted in the green circles of pics 2 & 3, but correct me if I'm wrong.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but yes, the green circles are better than the red ones.

By the way, it's definitely safer to jack up both sides and have four stands. That undertray is slick, and there is not much of a contact area with a jackstand

read your manual.
    --Rossion Q1 Porsche White

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    read your manual.
    I did, but it just says "jack should be positioned where the under-tray is fixed to the chassis."

I wanted to verify that's the row of screws maybe 6 inches in from the very edge of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by goo-goo-gjoob View Post
    It can be hard to jack up just one side of the car, because it's so low, and the car balances around like a pendulum sometimes when jacking it up from the side. It can be hard to get it to raise up evenly and still have somewhere to put the stands.

I would recommend jacking the back of the car up from the frame near the start of the rear splitter, if you can get the jack back that far. Try to keep the jack off of the splitter though. Then start putting the jackstands on both sides in the rear, and then move to the sides and jack them up more to get the front stands in. It can be a long and interesting process

The best spot for the stand is at the frame intersections (where the lines of screws intersect. There is a diagram in the Noble build manual.
    This pic shows where I think you mean for jacking from the rear: In the center, under the bar between the wheels, to which the rear splitter is attached.

Here I've positioned my low-profile jack's rubber pad evenly under that bar. The bar is just after the oil pan, as you can see.

Since the splitter attaches to the bar, I don't see how to keep the jack from touching it. Unless I'm confused as to what the splitter is.

Quote Originally Posted by goo-goo-gjoob View Post
    ...and then move to the sides and jack them up more to get the front stands in.
    A couple more points of interest regarding jacking up the front, and where to put jackstands in front.

Pic #1 shows the front center under my car. Why wouldn't I jack the front of the car from under this V-join?

Pic #2 shows a the frame extending ahead of the front wheel. Would this not be a suitable place for a jack stand?

Thanks again, sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm the guy who measures thrice and cuts once, then throws away the botched piece and starts over.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroDown View Post
    I did, but it just says "jack should be positioned where the under-tray is fixed to the chassis."

I wanted to verify that's the row of screws maybe 6 inches in from the very edge of the car.
    Best to look for a point at the intersection of two, or more, rows of screws. That is where the frame members meet (hidden by the undertray), and it provides maximum structural stiffness for jacking. Use a piece of wood, or hockey puck, between the jack cradle and the undertray and you won't have a problem (but make sure the jack is free to roll on the ground as it goes up).
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroDown View Post
    A couple more points of interest regarding jacking up the front, and where to put jackstands in front.

Pic #1 shows the front center under my car. Why wouldn't I jack the front of the car from under this V-join?

Pic #2 shows a the frame extending ahead of the front wheel. Would this not be a suitable place for a jack stand?

Thanks again, sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm the guy who measures thrice and cuts once, then throws away the botched piece and starts over.
    No in both cases--that front subframe is not a structural part of the chassis! It is really just "tacked" on to the main chassis tubes.
    See the "bare" chassis below
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS