Thread: Battery relocation to cabin with battery tender

Default Battery relocation to cabin with battery tender

Searched archives, didn't find a write up even though some folks have done this. I have an '09 Rossion, but I suspect it will be identical for Nobles as well.

Remove existing battery. Car will be on jack stands. Older Rossions will have an Ultima battery which weighs approximately 43# and is accessed from below. Set aside battery mounting hardware. Remove passenger seat from below. Equipment required: Braille B2317 (17#) battery, 28-30” 2 gauge positive battery cable with ends installed (needs to be approximately 6 inches longer than existing cable which is 24”), red and black heat-shrink tubing. Braille 2318 Battery mount. Tender (I used Schumacher). Will also require a new custom cover made of fiberglass and carpet covered.

Reroute existing positive terminal wire to upper engine compartment and zip tie in place. This will be left as an emergency “jumper” post in the event of a battery failure since you cannot get inside car if needing a jump. Install terminal end. Remove ECU cover. Add second longer positive cable and route through firewall at ECU opening. Tighten nut on starter solenoid (10mm nut). Reroute negative cable. Get as much slack as possible, it will just barely have enough length. Move ECU over until mounting bracket almost touches center console.

ECU mounting bracket will have to be raised slightly in order to clear 2318 battery box flanges. Remount outer flange of ECU hold down just above battery box flange. Check on engine side of firewall (through battery access in floor) to ensure hole drilling will not hit anything. Use one inch interior screws to remount (the existing screws). Pad the Braille 2318 mount, place battery inside. Mount the upper FOUR holes with 1 inch screws. The lower two holes will hit a lower cross beam and there are also wires/tubing on the firewall side, so do not use. Again- confirm ok to drill in this area. I had to use 1 ˝ inch screws to initially mount as carpet pushes mount out. When you get purchase on upper or lower you can set the others with 1 inch. Then convert the remaining 1 1/2 inch to 1 inch. This will make sure wiring cannot rub on ends of screws which would stick out on firewall side. Mount tender with screws similar above battery. I called Braille, no issues with enclosed battery in cabin (does not require venting). Attach battery cables and route so they will not rub. Place foam on outside of battery box to prevent cover rubbing and vibration. Construct interior cover with extension from existing cover using fiberglass. You will need approximately 4-5 inches in increased width and 2 ˝-3 inches in depth over the battery box. See pictures. Place foam or bubble wrap protection on electrical connector assemblies to prevent vibration/noise. Replace cover, check drill points before drilling. With the cover thickness it will likely take 1 1/2" screws to secure cover. ODB II connector exits near console, charger plug near seat belt.

There will be minimal intrusion into cabin with a tight cover, as the new battery and charger cover barely adds volume.

It looks great !!!

Very nice!
    Over 3000lbs=boring. 0-60 over 4 seconds=boring. Under 1g=boring. Noble, not boring.

Interesting sticker on the ECU. It looks like Dunne-Rite is the origin of Rossion ECUs and MAF conversion. Mine 2010 does not have this sticker but yours is an earlier built. Can someone with early 2009 Q1 check theirs?