Thread: AVIC iPod adapter and firmware update

Default AVIC iPod adapter and firmware update

I finally finished the iPod cable install. Pretty easy. You need the original a/v cable for your Pioneer F700/900, it may not be on the unit if you only have door speakers. There are two connectors, one is just for front speakers. The second is RCA jacks (see pic) and is for subwoofer, rear and video in. You will also need a iPod adapter cable which does not come with nav system. It is: Pioneer CD-IU230V. I found one on Ebay for $1 plus $3.69 shipping (from Hong Kong). If you can't wait, they are approx $40 from Pioneer.

Remove the four hex screws from double DIN faceplate/start/HVAC cover. With a bit of jiggling it will clear lower plate. You do not need to remove HVAC knobs or anything else. Nav unit is not locked in- will just slide out. I put iPod in glove box. Route USB cable to glove box and in glove box there is a small cover on top in back. Loosen left phillips screw and you can easily pass USB cable. I kept USB just inside glove box in case I wanted to use it for a memory stick, but you don't have to pull it that far. The iPod adapter cable has a USB connector, and three RCA jacks. Route RCA back to nav unit and plug in to cable. There will be a lot of loose/non used jacks. I had to zip tie these together to be able to feed out the back of the double DIN space. The nav unit will not fit unless you guide this mess out the back. If you put a light in passenger foot well pointing up and sit in passenger seat, you can see/feed cables with one hand under dash and one above. Replace cover, have fun! The SD card music thing works fine, but the iPod interface allows much better navigation, playlists, artwork, etc. It is worth doing. You should be able to play iPod video for those of us that don't have DVD. You can select movies from the main iPod menu and it works really well and is quick. Not much space to put cd/dvds anyways. If you haven't ripped DVDs for iPod, I use DVD shrink and custom rip to one chapter only. It is just too painful to watch a movie in chapter format. Then convert to small/ iPod format, I use Videora iPod converter. Both are free.

Firmware update 3.x. This is firmware that is released in Europe and modded to the US. Not clear why Pioneer hasn't released in US.

So I took the plunge. My maps were old enough that my house/road didn't exist. Check out AVIC 411 for tons of info on mods. http://avic411.com/index.php?/forum/31-f-series/ Super helpful. I did update with a combined package which included nav mods, speed camera, software motion hack, the 3.0201 firmware. It can be found at: http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/...irmware-image/ There are multiple variations of this and some are probably a bit more sophisticated, but this one had good instructions and what I wanted. The summary is: it works great, is a better interface and now I have current maps. Please read through all the threads to confirm this is what you want and you know what bugs (if any exist).

Please see the instructions for install so I will only add things I found helpful:
    -Get a plastic stylus to navigate in Win CE environment. Can't be done with a finger.
    -Before even trying this hack, go into Win CE through the settings portion of regular Sat/nav interface. Go to: Menu>Settings>System Settings>Service Information>(scroll to bottom) Open Explorer. Get the hang of the Win CE environment. See the splash screen thread for some pix of this. http://www.nobleforums.com/showthread.php?t=9875

-Before loading update- copy your Rossion splash screen to a SD card or USB drive if you wish to save it. COPY THE ENTIRE "My Flash Drive" contents to a USB/SD drive in case there is a problem.
    -When you down load the file you will need to use a torrent program (I used uTorrent) and then winRAR. Both are free, download first if you don't have.
    -Once you have loaded the new files in "My Flash Drive", look in the My Flash Disk\DATA\SplashPic file and add back your Rossion splash screen. It will save you a step later. Then finish the boot per instructions.

I was a bit worried when I tried this, but it went off without a hitch and seems like it is a common mod per AVIC 411. Should work on F900BT, F700BT (and others).

Have fun!

Thanks Eric for the great post. After you showed me the USB plug in my glove box and I attached it to my Pioneer cable I now have full control of my ****** 4s from the Pioneer touuchscreen. That rocks !! I also upgrade to the 4.0 Hybrid install and never tested the ****** connection before the upgrade so results may very.

I somehow ordered two Pioneer cables CD-IU230V (see uper right picture) and if anyone is interested, PM me and it is yours for $10 shipped to your door USPS.

Matt,
    Can you do a review and 'how to' on the 4.0 install that you did (ie; what is new/changed and any bugs)? Also, I am guessing this is from the AVIC 411 site- but can you hyperlink the download location? I'd be interested if I should again upgrade..

Follow up on the 3.02 upgrade. Seems to work fine and there is only one bug that I have found. It kicks you back to main screen on one of the settings screens when you hit the 'back' (return arrow) button, but otherwise functions well. Only other issue is that if you use a high GB i-pod it takes a while to search your data base before you can use screen control (although I think this happens on the other versions too).

So I was screwing around with my stereo menus trying to tweak antenna. Turns out if you drill down into the menus for the AVIC unit there is a way to disable 'search i P o d database on startup'. Not that it was a big deal, but it was annoying since it took a minute or so. Let it seach once, then disable the search feature and it will boot straight up with no delay the next time. I believe you need to re-enable search if you change/add music so the data base is updated.