Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wetter water

Default Wetter water

I've seen a product advertised that is an aditive you put in the coolant. They claim by making the water wetter, releasing surface tention, it improves heat transfer and so makes the cooling system run cooler.

Has anyone tried it? What's the verdict?

Martin.

No personal experience with the poduct, Martin, but I have some racer friends who swear by it--said to be good for a 5-10 degree C temp drop in a restrictor plate (no thermostat) system.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

I have used it in many performance applications and it works well. Drops the temps almost always by 10-15 degrees.
    I offer port and polished heads for any year duratec! www.pnpheads.com

Depends on your cooling system.

If you're using pure water, use Water Wetter.

If you're using a water/coolant mix, use Diesel Water Wetter.

Standard WW has additives that help keep scaling and corrosion down, but it does separate out when cold, forming a nasty layer of gunk in your overflow tank. The function of these additives is already taken care of by your antifreeze. WW was really designed for a straight water system.

DWW is identical to WW, but lacks the rust and corrosion inhibitors, so as long as you have 33%+ antifreeze, go with this formulation.

White papers:

WW

DWW

The techs at RedLine have stated much the same thing over at BobIsTheOilGuy.
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxM400
    Depends on your cooling system.

If you're using pure water, use Water Wetter.

If you're using a water/coolant mix, use Diesel Water Wetter.

Standard WW has additives that help keep scaling and corrosion down, but it does separate out when cold, forming a nasty layer of gunk in your overflow tank. The function of these additives is already taken care of by your antifreeze. WW was really designed for a straight water system.

DWW is identical to WW, but lacks the rust and corrosion inhibitors, so as long as you have 33%+ antifreeze, go with this formulation.

OK, it looks like this stuff is a winner except for the above. If it separates out when cold does that mean is re-mixes when the engine is warmed up? If so that's OK but it means you REALLY need to allow the engine to be REALLY warmed up before doing anything and doing short trips (in a Noble!) would really expose the motor to potential long term corrosive damage.
    Regards
    Paul C

I doubt many people with a Noble are running 100% water. If you're running 33% or more antifreeze, you should be using Diesel Water Wetter, which has no additives anyway.

If you are running 100% water, your car is probably being used as a dedicated racecar, so there's really not much of an issue with short trips to the market.
    RacePrecision GotApex

Default Glycol

I heard some use 100% mixture of something else, I think it was glycol? If you use this mixture, does it render the WW useless?
    06 Noble M400 w/mods

I'm not too sure, perhaps someone else can chime in.

100% Propylene Glycol was mentioned by #117:

http://www.nobleforums.com/showthread.php?t=569

Propylene Glycol and Ethylene Glycol are the two most common antifreeze solutions.

General wisdom and testing shows pure water to run the coolest, since distilled water has a .60w/mK thermal conductivity at 90 degrees C, more than twice the .25w/mK that Propylene Glycol or .27-.28w/mK that Ethylene Glycol has.

A 50/50 mix normally has a thermal conductivity of .34-.35w/mK for Propylene Glycol and .38-.40w/mK for the slightly more efficient Ethylene Glycol. When we add the issue of viscosity, numbers for convection seem to get even worse for antifreeze as a coolant.

This being said, I believe Greg Robb has stated that pure glycol runs about 4 degrees cooler or so than a 50/50 mix. I don't personally understand the physics of this, but he is a well respected, experienced Noble builder.
    RacePrecision GotApex

Water Wetter works, even with anti freeze mixed 50/50 or higher. It's worth 10-20F temp drop, depending on the system and the mix.

I know of several engine builders that don't recommend using Water Wetter because of the possibility of deposits. I don't think that I have seen diesel Water Wetter.

There is another product called "40 below" which also works well. Both are available at speed shops.

Evans coolant is probably the best. It wont boil in most applications, so that keeps steam pockets from forming, which lead to blown head gaskets.

Nothing beats having a properly set up cooling system. The Noble has a fine cooling system, so the use of Evans coolant is the best bet. It doesn't allow corrosion, wont boil and keeps the engine cooler than antifreeze.

I used Water Wetter in my A Sedan Mustang with antifreeze, and had no problmes with deposits over 14 years of use. The Mustang had a pretty good cooling system in it. Coolant was changed every year or so for one reason or another.

I have not used Water Wetter in my Renault, and have had no problems with cooling for the last 22 years. When I get around to changing the hoses and coolant, I will set it up with Evans.

Both cars were run on the track extensively. All I can say is that I know that in my case, Water Wetter didn't hurt anything.

If you are looking at a Noble, and think that adding Water Wetter will help with the engine compartment heat, you are looking in the wrong place and the wrong product. You can get just as much effect by simply rolling down the windows.

If you are looking for a little edge in cooling, Evans coolant is the best bet, and will preserve cooling system components.

Evans coolant doesn't have any water in it, and is not mixed when installed. A very low pressure cap is used as well. Try not to confuse propylene and ethylene glycol. Each has different properties, and different installation instructions.

Propylene glycol gives up heat a little quicker, which gives it the edge in cooling.

In any case, the engines need to run at around 200*F all the time anyway for maximum efficiency. Don't expect that an additive will make any difference in the operating temperature of the engine. THAT is controlled by the thermostat. If your Noble runs at 200F, it will always run at 200F, even if you have Evans coolant or Water Wetter.

Your protection will come at the track, where it will continue to run at 200-210F, or a little higher, without boil over.

As with any other race car, a little attentiion to the temperature gauges can help avoid a high temperature problem due to over stress, or bits of debris stuck in the heat exchangers.

Ah, Evans Cooling. I've heard of that stuff awhile ago, but never bookmarked it. Interesting to read the mechanics behind it.

Anyone know how many gallons our cooling system takes?
    RacePrecision GotApex