Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stalling after hot

Default stalling after hot

All .. first off excuse the million posts ... just trying to get everything sorted out.

I seem to have a hot stalling issues that only happens after i such the car off.

cold start no issue
    runs like a top even hot
    shut car down, wait 10 minutes, then restart and the car will stall
    running will go back to normal after 5 minutes of running

After doing a search I am thinking that I may need to reset the adaptive maps and ECU ... sound right?

Also, is there a version of the software for Macs?

Do you know if your car has the original ECU mapping? Are there any noticeable vacuum leaks (can do quick test via inspecting vacuum port with engine running)? Do you have the A/C on while starting? What do the RPM and oil pressure readings do on a stall and on normal idle?
    Last edited by NolanA; 02-09-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Do you hear your fuel pump whining when you go to restart it? You could have the gas vaporizing in the pump and not getting enough fuel pressure...

To reset the map, I believe you can just pull the main fuse for a few minutes and it will go back to blank...

I can't find any software for the mac, so I run a VM with XP in it....

Ed

good point
    hot fuel
    stock map
    or
    new map with noise in the after start coolant temp maps?
    hummm!
    -Troy Fralick
    troy@nobleupgrades.com
    Tallahassee Speed Shop, Inc.
    5338 Gateway Drive
    Tallahassee, Fl 32303
    850-597-8919
    904-838-9150 cell
    And
    Remade by Hand, Inc.
    Porsche Restorations
    173 McCallister Rd
    Crawfordville, FL 32327

Quote Originally Posted by rskdsk View Post
    All .. first off excuse the million posts ... just trying to get everything sorted out.

I seem to have a hot stalling issues that only happens after i such the car off.

cold start no issue
    runs like a top even hot
    shut car down, wait 10 minutes, then restart and the car will stall
    running will go back to normal after 5 minutes of running

After doing a search I am thinking that I may need to reset the adaptive maps and ECU ... sound right?

Also, is there a version of the software for Macs?
    Sounds like you have an early "hypo" map which, besides being pretty unsafe, always had this problem. Remapping is the best fix, IMO.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

TRUE
    I would investigate the map!
    we can send you a loaner cable and the software
    I'll open it remotely as you watch and learn as well as possibility remedy your situation in short
    Troy
    -Troy Fralick
    troy@nobleupgrades.com
    Tallahassee Speed Shop, Inc.
    5338 Gateway Drive
    Tallahassee, Fl 32303
    850-597-8919
    904-838-9150 cell
    And
    Remade by Hand, Inc.
    Porsche Restorations
    173 McCallister Rd
    Crawfordville, FL 32327

How can I tell which map I have ... and I want the best map anyway, even if that means simple mods (exhaust, or IC).

I would love the help ....

I did reset the adaptive maps ... but it did not help the stalling HOWEVER something weird did happen. My car normal boost .7bar in first/second and 1 bar 3 on ... after redoing the adaptive maps I saw 1 bar first/second and 1.2bars 3 on. I stopped boosting because 1.2 bars seems high without knowing the proper air/fuel. also my car seems to hunt a bit now 950rpm-800 rpms.

I will say that the reason I notice the boost is because the tires broke loose (full blown spinning, car rear drifting and all) while accelerating in second ... which has never happened in this car before then.

BTW I did not see any vacuum leaks and will be testing the BOV tonight ... possibly resetting the adaptive maps adjusting the idle set, and then doing the 10 step off and on.

AC never on when starting, but I do not have a hot running problem at all ... even with the ac on, car runs perfect. The only issue is when I run the car, let it sit for 5-30 minutes or so ... and then start ... the car will not idle at all. If I hold the throttle I can keep it running, and after just a short drive (1/4 mile) everything is fine again. It seems like I have a heat issue that goes away after the car moves a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by rskdsk View Post
    How can I tell which map I have ... and I want the best map anyway, even if that means simple mods (exhaust, or IC).

I would love the help ....

I did reset the adaptive maps ... but it did not help the stalling HOWEVER something weird did happen. My car normal boost .7bar in first/second and 1 bar 3 on ... after redoing the adaptive maps I saw 1 bar first/second and 1.2bars 3 on. I stopped boosting because 1.2 bars seems high without knowing the proper air/fuel. also my car seems to hunt a bit now 950rpm-800 rpms.

I will say that the reason I notice the boost is because the tires broke loose (full blown spinning, car rear drifting and all) while accelerating in second ... which has never happened in this car before then.
    Overboosting is another characteristic of the "hypo" map--and it should be avoided at all cost if you value your engine .
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS