Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stereo system

Default Stereo system

I'm not getting the stock system in my noble. What kind of systems have people put in?

I've heard pretty good things about the Harman Kardon TrafficPro. A friend put one in his Boxster, and it works well. I think it's just ugly enough to never fear getting it stolen.

Comes out to just under 400 clams these days too, well under the original $1500 MSRP.

I've also heard great things about the Panasonic CQ-C9800U. Probably far better sound wise than the H/K, though without the nav capabilities. Tripath digital amplifiers.

For speakers, I heard we have 6.5" holes and about 2 3/4" of depth. Something with relatively high efficiency is probably a good idea.

I've heard great things about Focal and Morel, though the two have different sounds. The Focal are a bit brighter.

Focal:

165mm 2-way coax
    93dB sensitivity
    73mm mounting depth

http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/polygl...20HP/165CV.pdf

Morel Integra R-6:

160mm 2-way coax with 1.1" semi-horn soft-dome tweeter
    91dB sensitivity
    2.3" mounting depth

http://www.morelusa.com/renaissance/r-6.htm

Ugh, TrafficPro's are no longer available. Guess I waited too long.

Still have not made any decision on a headunit, but I did install some modest co-axe Infiniity speakers to fill the door holes. I can't imagine needing concert-quality reproduction in this car since the cabin is pretty noisey to start with.
    Does anyone have a suggestion for an AM/FM antenna? Seems like you need one that can be mounted inside the cabin or under the front clam.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

I still need to look into an antenna as well.

I decided to pick up the TriPath based Panasonic headunit.

As for speakers, I'm considering a few others now as well. There's the kinda funky looking, yet very very light (neodymium magnet for mid-driver as well as for tweeter, and injection molded basket), and have a good reputation, sound wise:

http://www.directed.com/audio/speakers/coaxials.asp

There's also the Seas H1144 (though the lower sensitivity may not be good for such a loud car, with no external amp):

http://www.madisound.com./H1143.pdf

The panasonic receiver arrived.

The Directed SX650 is just being released. It's actually very inexpensive ($89 or so per pair). Just ordered a set.

Pretty close to what I paid for the Infinity coaxs--probably similar quality.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

Joel: What did you use for an am/fm antenna?

Update: Well, big time delay on those Directed speakers. I ended up going with the Focal's. Should be higher quality (as if it matters with our loud interiors), but they are almost 6.1 lbs for the pair, including the screws, crossovers, etc. Now to figure out if the South Beach Diet will help me lose 6.1 lbs.

Here is the front of the speaker along with the grill. The tweeter can swivel, and can be tilted:

Back of the speaker:

Here's the crossover:

Here's a closeup of the crossover. You can see the adjustment switch near the bottom right for the tweeter. You can leave as is, boost the tweeter 3dB, or cut it 3dB. They suggest for speakers mounted near the bottom of the doors (like ours), to boost it. I guess it'll take a bit of playing around with:

And, to keep moisture off of em, foam speaker baffles. Light, and rattle-free (unlike the plastic ones):