Thread: Persnickity starting

Default Persnickety starting

Lately the car has had some persnickity starting issues. Sometimes, the engine will turn over on the first turn of the key or the starter button. Other times, it will take a few tries to get it to turn the starter. Once the starter turns, it fires right up, but you can sometimes press the button three or more times with no effect. It will demonstrate this behavior hot or cold. Any ideas?
    Last edited by linesplice; 07-01-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    Dustin

One of the relays on the engine side of the firewall controls current to the solenoid and starter. My first try would be to pull it out of its socket and poke it back in a few times to scuff up the contacts. Or just replace it. They are easy to get and cheap at the local auto parts store.

Jeff

I'll check it/replace it in the morning but I've never heard of a relay that fails intermittently. Any other ideas?
    Dustin

Actually there is no way I'm going to try and get to those today. I forgot they are behind a few pieces of heat shielding that's a PITA to get to unless you start disassembling, like lots of things with this car (the disassembling).
    Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by linesplice View Post
    Any other ideas?
    It sounds like an electrical problem. Here is the circuit.

Jeff
    Last edited by NobleM400; 07-01-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Well, the short story is, it was indeed the relay. Thank you, Jeff!

I don't know who else has the Greg Robb stainless heat shields over those relays, but it wasn't fun taking them off. The battery tender had to be unbolted and moved out of the way first. Some creative arm positioning, a stubby screwdriver that accepts a hex driver located, and a grunt or two applied to loosen those screws. The upper heat shield is secured to the body by two bolts, which I wouldn't want to remove without several universal joints and a couple extensions. You don't have to remove the upper to reach the relays, thankfully. I replaced the A/C relay while I was at it, and the starter key and button work like new again.
    Dustin