Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installed Battery Minder/Charging harness, also pics of dual oil cooler set-up.

Default Installed Battery Minder/Charging harness, also pics of dual oil cooler set-up.

Well, I had an issue of the battery dying every few days and ended up getting a Battery Minder Charger/Maintainer for the Noble. I have an Odyssey battery installed so had to get the correct charger specifically for the Odyssey. I fully charged the battery after installing the charging plug right below the Jump terminal for easy access & it's hidden. After giving the Odyssey a full charge, thus far I have had no issues with the battery being dead between starts, it just needed a good proper charge. There are also some pics of the ECU heat shielding and remote oil temp probe that Greg did.

Charging Terminal

Odyssey Battery (680mjt) laying flat on the bottom of the chassis. (Saved 30lbs over the Optima!

Pass. side Oil Cooler

Heat Shielding w/film

S54 M Coupe Pheonix Yellow/Black (rare bird)
    S52 M Coupe Estoril/Estoril (show queen)
    E60 M5 Dinan S3R Stroker (family hauler)
    997.1TT RST600 (Beast)

gone, but not forgotten...
    #160 M400 Troy Tuned - Red Mica - (RCKT PWR)

[QUOTE=MicaM400]Well, I had an issue of the battery dying every few days and ended up getting a Battery Minder Charger/Maintainer for the Noble. I have an Odyssey battery installed so had to get the correct charger specifically for the Odyssey. I fully charged the battery after installing the charging plug right below the Jump terminal for easy access & it's hidden. After giving the Odyssey a full charge, thus far I have had no issues with the battery being dead between starts, it just needed a good proper charge. There are also some pics of the ECU heat shielding and remote oil temp probe that Greg did.

So, did you check the voltage at the battery at idle? is it charging? Have you tried to isolate the drain on the battery, if there is one?

The battery should not drain between drives, not even if it is parked for over a month. My guess is that the battery might not be getting 13.5-14.5 volts at idle, which would indicate a weak alternator in need of overhaul.

I think that the charger is an excellent idea, but you should not need it with an Oddyssey battery.

Quote Originally Posted by S.J.Morgan
    The battery should not drain between drives, not even if it is parked for over a month. My guess is that the battery might not be getting 13.5-14.5 volts at idle, which would indicate a weak alternator in need of overhaul.
    SJ,

Next time you have your hands on a Noble, let it sit for 7-10 days and report back to us. The alarm system and ECU will drain it, since they never go dormant. That is why 1g recommends the optional battery trickle charger for owners that won't be driving the car every day.

Quote Originally Posted by m0nitor
    True... no one with a Noble or a Porsche would leave them for more than a week or two without putting it on a battery minder. There is a difference between syncophant theory and owner practice.

Reminds me of a story of the GM VPs who every day drove their company car from their heated garage to the company garage where they were detailed and maintained. These guys had no idea what real users experience of production product was.

I do not discount what SJ says... after Patrick Carp runs the car the battery probably does not go flat while the pool chum get their photos.
    What kind of theory? If you use the big words, you better know what they mean, AND HOW TO SPELL THEM.

I let my cars sit for a month at a time without worrying about the battery. Having Oddessy batteries does help, but my Porsches, Mercedes and even my Renaults (including the one that I wired myself) and my self wired Lotus 11 don't seem to mind extended periods of rest.

The Rolls Royce Phantom has a charger located in the trunk, because if the car is off life support for a week, the system will drain the battery if there is a problem. I know this because, well, I had one, and was told by the reps that the charger was included for a reason. This is a flaw, and they are working on a fix.

I might suggest a product called BATTERY BRAIN, a product that disconnects the battery when the voltage drops below 12.2 volts (75% charge). This will save your charged battery for when you want to start the car after an extended period of rest. Reconnection is accomplished by pressing a button on your key ring. Yes, it is possible to keep some circuits running when the battery is cut off.

Yes, I did write about BATTERY BRAIN, tested the thing, and kept the test articles. You can read my write up in the 02/06 issue of Robb Report Collection.

I let my cars sit for a month at a time without worrying about the battery. Having Oddessy batteries does help, but my Porsches, Mercedes and even my Renaults (including the one that I wired myself) and my self wired Lotus 11 don't seem to mind extended periods of rest.
    I think we were talking about the Noble, S.J. As I said previously, the next time you have your hands on one, let it sit for 7-10 days and report back to us on your findings. You may learn something new that they didn't teach you at charm school (i.e., the Noble battery goes dead in that span of time without a trickle charger hooked to it). Same thing will happen to a Porsche (of recent vintage). Feel free to include this little bit of reality in your next Noble expose' article.

Quote Originally Posted by caccobra
    I think we were talking about the Noble, S.J. As I said previously, the next time you have your hands on one, let it sit for 7-10 days and report back to us on your findings. You may learn something new that they didn't teach you at charm school (i.e., the Noble battery goes dead in that span of time without a trickle charger hooked to it). Same thing will happen to a Porsche (of recent vintage). Feel free to include this little bit of reality in your next Noble expose' article.
    Been there, done that. No problems. Had the M12 for a month and an M400 for the same period. The older M12 sat for two weeks, and showed no drain on the battery at all. It started up and still had over 12.6 volts. I know of other Nobles that sit for extended periods (the M12 might sit for a month at a time), and start up fine. The last M400 I had sat for a couple of weeks, and had no problem starting when I picked it up. No trickle charger was used on the car.

Perhaps your car has a problem in producing enough voltage to keep the battery up. What is the voltage across the battery at idle? Should be at least 13.8 volts. That might give you a clue as to what is going on. You might do a search of circuits that are draining the battery.
    And of course, you could check the battery terminals, and clean them. Spraying them with Boeshield T9 is also useful in removing and preventing corrosion. Then there is the possibility of a faulty battery.

There are not enough circuits in the Noble to drain the battery in a week. That sort of fault is a genuine problem, and you ought to make an effort to fix it.

Perhaps some of your Porsches have problems sitting. Those owned by my friends have no such problems.

7. Default

Mine sits for 7-14 days with no issues starting. At 2.5 weeks did it seem a bit slower cranking (not appreciably) but it fired up.
    -- Mike
    04 Noble M12 GTO-3R (Robb and Hoover)
    http://www.turbohoses.com/Nobleperformance.htm
    97 3000GT VR-4
    00 Dakota Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Muenter
    Mine sits for 7-14 days with no issues starting. At 2.5 weeks did it seem a bit slower cranking (not appreciably) but it fired up.
    You might want to find out what drains the battery, or make sure that you have a full charge on it. Cranking the car on a half dead battery is hard on the starter, and may cause premature starter failure.

Check the voltage at the battery during idle, and at 2500 RPM.

One other thing that you might do is check the battery voltage after a long period of non operation (2-3 weeks) . If below 12 volts, you might want do give it a boost before starting. Both the Optima and Oddssey batteries store best with a full charge. It would be a good idea to check your charging system to ensure that your battery gets a full charge during driving.

I would not be surprised if the culprit was the immobilizer system.

Maybe Battery Brain may not a bad idea for the Noble as it would disconnect the battery automatically before it went flat. At fine auto accessory houses everywhere.

Get the one with the remote switch. It is also an anti theft device.

You might want to find out what drains the battery,

I would not be surprised if the culprit was the immobilizer system.
    SJ,

Are you hard of hearing ?

" The alarm system and ECU will drain it, since they never go dormant. That is why 1g recommends the optional battery trickle charger for owners that won't be driving the car every day."
    Last edited by caccobra; 12-01-2006 at 06:29 PM.

in the UK its Stamp Addressed Envelope, if that helps, which it probably doesn't.