Thread: Data Logger Recommendations - Part II

Default Data Logger Recommendations - Part II

Hi all and Merry Christmas. I don't post much but I do enjoy all of your experiences and opinions. Well it is a special time of year where it is my birthday & anniversary (today as a matter of fact) and Christmas is right around the corner. So what does dad need? already have a Noble and blessed with all that I want . . . except for that data logger. I have about 15 questions hopefully they will get answered in the string over time.

I have researched the past posts and the Traqmate appears to be the forum favorite. There is the G2X which I would like to know more about and I am looking at the MaxQdata. The MaxQ has the ability to expand and add inputs or OBD2 connection as well as Navigation system. But I really like the software output of the Traqmate. I would like to reopen this discussion. What do you find is the most useful information and are the added inputs really necessary as I am really only looking at driver technique and not tuning the car between sessions.

Thanks, Rob

Don't use one myself , but FWIW, there's lots of discussion here:
    http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49287
    that should be relevant, independent of the car.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

I have a TraqMate. It is easy to install, works well, tells me everything I need to know. The analysis software is easy to use and very comprehensive.

Get the $900 version with the display. You can see lap times real time.

Whatever you buy, if you want the track map function, get one with GPS. It is much better than the accelerometer based track map functions. I have this on my LMP car and it is less than stellar. Very choppy.

This one is so good you can drive a lap on the right fringe of the track, drive a lap on the left fringe and show the entire track width on the map and analyze your line.

The other thing that is useful is that TM people seem willing to share track data. So you can easily overlay your laps with theirs and see where you are slower or faster.

You can spend a lot more for a better system but you can't beat this for $900.

Trackvision also has an interface to the TM data, so you can overlay your Gs, speed and RPMs on your in car video.
    Dino

Sarthe Grey Rossion Q1 (Sold to a good home in Colorado)
    Wolf GB08 LMP3/CN Sports Prototype www.motorsports-sw.com www.wolfracingcars.com
    Red 2006 A4 (slow but good gas mileage)
    2012 Audi Q7 TDI (Awesome Highway & Tow Vehicle w/Torque and High MPG)

Quote Originally Posted by turnbaugh View Post
    Whatever you buy, if you want the track map function, get one with GPS. It is much better than the accelerometer based track map functions. I have this on my LMP car and it is less than stellar. Very choppy.
    I'm not questioning your recommendation, but I'd love to understand why you like the GPS better. So far I have found the opposite to be true, especially on tracks with bridges. We are running Motec, and I like it fine.

Generally I'd say you ought to run the system with the software you like the best.

The track map on the TraqMate is much cleaner than the ETB on my ADR.

Of course bridges do present a problem.
    Dino

Sarthe Grey Rossion Q1 (Sold to a good home in Colorado)
    Wolf GB08 LMP3/CN Sports Prototype www.motorsports-sw.com www.wolfracingcars.com
    Red 2006 A4 (slow but good gas mileage)
    2012 Audi Q7 TDI (Awesome Highway & Tow Vehicle w/Torque and High MPG)