Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gauges, oil pres/temp, clocks

Default Gauges, oil pres/temp, clocks

I didn't know the oil pressure gauge was optional on the m12, so I'm looking to retrofit. Are the m400 owners out there satisfied with the Smith combination oil pressure/oil temperature guage? If so, I suppose that's the easiest way to go.
    I've been perusing the web for oil pressure gauges and find the array available confusing. Any take on electrical vs. mechanical oil pressure gauge, best quality 52mm gauges, general placement in the Noble dash??

And a clock?

There is only one way to describe the gauges. They suck. I love the car but the quality of the gauges is by far the worst parts of the car. I would find some other brand of oil gauges.

My only comment (from Dean Rosen @ 1gRacing and Greg Rob who is building mine and has built 30 some Nobles) is that the stock location of the M400 oil temp. sending unit is close to the turbo, and reads abnormally high. You may want to locate the oil temp. sending unit so it gets an accurate read of the actual oil temperature.
    '05 M400 #117 wingless
    '08 MDX tech, sport & entertainment -can you do .84g in an SUV?
    '06 Civic Hybrid 92hp and it's the fastest 'single occupant' car in L.A...
    '01 Vino stupid fun
    '91 CRX 2.0 liter Vtec, 315 supercharged hp, sleepy HF...

Ian,

There is more to the gauge issue than just that.

Quote Originally Posted by turnbaugh
    There is only one way to describe the gauges. They suck. I love the car but the quality of the gauges is by far the worst parts of the car. I would find some other brand of oil gauges.
    Is it just the oil gauge you don't like or all of them in general? Do you have an alternative, and what exactly is it that makes them Suck

Paul
    An expert is a drip under pressure.

06 M400 (adopted)
    04 Lexus SC430
    06 Ford King Ranch

I've heard Smith gauges are mediocre. I was trying to find a practical alternative online that would fit in the Noble. The only decent combination 52mm oil pres/temp gauge I could find is made by Racetek and used in formula Ford racers. It uses a mechanical oil pressure gauge with a capillary tube. The only problem is, it's not backlit. I'm wondering if it could be retrofited with a little light. On the other hand, one could keep the oil pressure idiot lite active, and that would mitigate the inconvenience of not seeing the gauge at night.

The oil pressure gauge is sticky until you gte to about 40psi. Tach is erratic under hard acceleration. Speedo isn't smooth either.

FWIW, I have only experienced the problem described by Ian, but once you understand that one you can think of it as an "early warning system" . Fixing this issue by re-locating the oil temp sensor is non-trivial, though, since it requires both removing and modifying the pan. As for speedo irregularites, I think it has been pretty well established that these problems are related to the optical sensor mounted on the R. front upright (positioning, fouling, etc).
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

I'm just about ready to order the Racetek combined oil pres/oil temp 52mm gauge. I'm hoping I can retrofit it with a little LED for night time. I really wish the carbon fiber dude that made the interior parts replacements would re-surface. I liked his center console very much. I have inquired about purchasing the m400 center panel from Noble, but it needs to be shipped here by slow boat. It may be my only alternative, other than just boring a new hole below the panel.

Putting the oil temp/pressure gauge in the existing panel isn't really too difficult. The recommended procedure (from Mike at 1g) is to move the starter button to a new location (lower left in my case) and enlarge the hole where the button was located for the new gauge. It's less trival to run the required lines through the tunnel and make the necessary connections behind the panel. Long arms, small hands and patience will help, though .
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS