Thread: Location of battery - the ultra newb qustion

Default Location of battery - the ultra newb qustion

OK, I know this one is a basic, but I really need some help. I recently bought an 04 GTO 3R, and car was standing for too long, so obviously battery is dead (not sue if gone or not).

So I understand from the manaul that the battery is on the rear side (the engine bay), but when I lifted up the clam, could not find the damn thing. What am I missing? Does anyone has a picture or easy decription to show me where to look for? the manual is really not very helpful.

Also, any ideas on how to jump start? I have cables and have a standalone chargewr that the AAA folks use.

Thanks guys and happy to join the gang. Still have my two lotuses and some others, but Noble was always the goal. Who knows what's next, a ZR1? I change my mind on cars like a normal person changes socks

Welcome! And another Noble / Lotus fan to boot .

You are close on the battery--just look straight down when the clam is open since it sits on the lower frame rails of the car pretty much behind the passenger side bulkhead.
    There is some access if you remove the front wheel arch liner on the right rear (about 6 screws), but the best way to remove the beast of a battery is from below, with the car on a lift. It's a bit awkward, but that is the way it is.
    If it's completely flat, there may be no way to bring it back with a charger, but it's probably worth a try. Jumping is kind of a delicate operation because of this location, but it can be done if you are careful.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Joel; 06-21-2009 at 09:07 AM.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

If your car has a male household type plug sticking up near the passenger side bulkhead, you are in luck, because it means you have the optional onboard battery charger (should have been standard equipment, but it wasn't). Just plug that into an extension cord and let it charge for about 24 hrs. If you don't have that, it is very tricky to get charger leads hooked up without shorting something to the frame in the process. The only safe way to remove the battery is from under the car, after you have removed the belly pan.

Quote Originally Posted by caccobra View Post
    If your car has a male household type plug sticking up near the passenger side bulkhead, you are in luck, because it means you have the optional onboard battery charger (should have been standard equipment, but it wasn't). Just plug that into an extension cord and let it charge for about 24 hrs. If you don't have that, it is very tricky to get charger leads hooked up without shorting something to the frame in the process. The only safe way to remove the battery is from under the car, after you have removed the belly pan.
    At least for me (and others, I'm told), there's no substitute for jumping and/or charging with a traditional battery charger. The onboard is just a trickle and not enuf to recharge an otherwise dead battery. I learned that one the hard way after one day of a two-day event. Like everyone says, getting the jumper clips down there is tricky, but you can do it (if I can do it, anyone can).

Happy Father's Day to all!
    Robert

Thanks guys!!

I did locate the battery and was shocked to see how
    hard acces is going to be. I may be lucky to have the extension but did not check it yet.

I think my next mod will be relocating the battery to an easier location. My problem is that I am not going to drive it too much, so I am sure it is not the first time I will have to charge the battery

And joining to happy father's day to all. I promised my wife I will not do car stuff today, but could not resist. Well, I am off for an early diner

Your best bet is to leave the battery where it is and add a terminal for jumping or trickle charging like I did.

http://www.nobleforums.com/showpost....44&postcount=7

This will keep the weight and balance and not add the additional weight of the charger. I kept mine connected to a battery minder during the winter months.

David

Quote Originally Posted by VideoDoctor View Post
    Your best bet is to leave the battery where it is and add a terminal for jumping or trickle charging like I did.

http://www.nobleforums.com/showpost....44&postcount=7

This will keep the weight and balance and not add the additional weight of the charger. I kept mine connected to a battery minder during the winter months.

David
    Yup. They work perfect, as long as you keep the battery charged via the tender!
    Robert

The optional onboard battery charger/maintainer really only weighs 2.5 lbs (see picture below). Cost is about $40 and there are installation instructions in the Assembly Manual, if you want to add one. It has operated flawlessly for me for 5 years (I'm still using the original battery) and it's very easy to just keep an extension cord plugged in nearby so all I do is plug it in every time I park it in the garage. If you are lucky enough to have one, I recommend using it rather than a normal battery charger that doesn't have the maintenance feature. That feature lengthens the life of your battery by keeping the plates free of sulphation build up (this kills batteries over time) and you can leave them plugged in for weeks at a time without worrying about boiling the battery. I use battery maintainers on all of my cars over the winter months, but I always keep the Noble plugged in whenever I park it, because I never know when I'll be driving it again.

Schumacher Chargers SE-1-12S

Model: SE-1-12S
    Description: 1.5 Amp Fully Automatic Onboard Maintainer/Charger
    Voltage: 12 V
    Amp: 1.5 AH
    Type: Auto
    Length: 8 7/8
    Width: 8 1/4
    Height: 3 7/8
    Weight: 2.5 Lbs

Keeps 12 volt batteries charged. Fully automatic. Turns on and off as needed. Allows safe charging of RV, deep-cycle or most batteries that may have a long storage period. "On Board" feature allows mounting of charger next to battery on collectibles, street rods and other infrequently used vehicles. Hardware and mounting brackets are included. 1.5 amp trickle charge rate-charges in 2 to 12 hours LED lights-Indicated Power On and Charged. Reverse-polarity protection. Molded plastic case
    Last edited by caccobra; 06-21-2009 at 04:24 PM.

That's the same one I have. If I don't plug my car in, the battery dies in two-three weeks!
    Robert