Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bose 161 speakers/rear speakers

Default Bose 161 speakers/rear speakers

I had a string going on this a while ago, but I don't know where it went. I just got my car back from its 3 month purgatory. I'd put the idea on hold but have now gone forward with ordering Bose 161 bookshelf speakers to place behind the headrests. I chose them, basically 'cuz they looked like they'd be a relatively unobtrusive addition. I intend to connect them directly to my headunit to see how they sound with its power, before deciding if I need to go with a separate amp.

In my prior life as a parsimonious medical student, I found that the cheapest way to get decent sound in my 240Z was not to install inclosed speaker systems, but to use a small bookshelf speaker. Back then, it was the RadioShack Optimus, a little self inclosed box with tweeter and small woofer. I continued to use this idea thru cheapo intern and resident days, and it always seemed to work. After all, the acoustic research has already been done, and it was so easy to just Velcro the things in back there.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it sounds when it's all hashed out.
    dakine

Default Installed this weekend

They went in yesterday. Although I originally thought they would be perfect off to the sides, next to the roll cage, we ended up putting them next to each other in the center, behind the two headrests, flat ends abutted against each other behind both seats. The sound is really very very good; in my opininion, obviating an external amp. ( Weight saving) If I get ambitious, I'll add some pics later..

My friend, the stereo expert, totally disses the concep. But, I really think this is the easiest, cheapest, and most attractive way to get really good sound, to the extent that it will overpower the exhaust note, when you want it.

My personal favorites to blow it away:
    Beach Boys: Good Vibrations
    Rossini: Overture to William Tell

I'd be really happy if you could post a photo or two Was the wiring easy to to run/which way did you run it?

Martin.

Default ?

I took some photos but can't figure out how to get them from my computer to this. When I click on "insert image", it asks for a URL address. Any help here?

Scroll down to attach files.
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxM400
    Scroll down to attach files.

Dr.,

Click on "Manage Attachments" further down on the page. Then hit "Browse" to select a picture from your computer and then "Upload". Wait a few seconds and it should attach to your message.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by V6GTO
    I'd be really happy if you could post a photo or two Was the wiring easy to to run/which way did you run it?

Martin.
    I've biased the balance slightly to the front and am playing with levels to get a good balance between stereo response, bass, and overall volume.
    Here they are:

They look pretty good. How did you secure them so they don't rattle around or become head slappers on sudden stops?

Quote Originally Posted by caccobra
    They look pretty good. How did you secure them so they don't rattle around or become head slappers on sudden stops?

Actually, I haven't yet. They're pretty stable for just cruising around. The installer wanted to mount them, but I intend to sew in a patch of velcro on the deck carpet and glue a corresponding piece to the bottom of the speakers. That way, I can quickly remove them during track events, like I did Tuesday.