Thread: Gauge Flicker

Default Gauge Flicker

I did a search on the forum and found a bunch of people talking about dash lights flashing or flickering. I think I have that going on, but wanted to confirm this is what everyone is talking about. Here is a video of my fuel gauge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zMmTx2JQ5Q

I found the relay solution for the fuel pump, but what is the correction for this?

Thanks as always,

Ed

Alternator going bad or more likely, bad alternator wiring.
    Noble -> Rossion -> Origin

Default Flicker

When I had wiring issues, all the dash lights would act similar to the video when the car was at idle, plus the blower motor would slow down, you could hear the fuel pump change pitch, exterior lights would go dim, etc. If your issue is just with one gauge position, I vote for an issue local to that gauge. If the car displays other symptoms, I vote with Randy.

I ended up rewiring with a fused 4 ga. charge wire running direct to the battery per instructions from another post. This solved my issues.

Mike P.

My lights had the flicker. I definitely had issues with the wiring going to the alternator. They were not properly insulated. It was actually effecting my power delivery. As it was explained to me, to compensate for the electrical fluctuations, my car was backing off timing. When I got it fixed, I found more h.p. than I thought I had.
    Over 3000lbs=boring. 0-60 over 4 seconds=boring. Under 1g=boring. Noble, not boring.

I did the wire upgrade to a 4g wire coming off of the alternator. I checked my fuse panel and discovered that the two fuses going to the headlights looked like the attached photo. Amazingly it hadn't blown, but clearly I wasn't getting much power through it.

I am going to attempt to wrap all of the wiring back in the battery area with some insulation as well as doing the fuel pump relay upgrade.

I am assuming that with the weather being in the low 70's and if I don't push the car hard I am not going to melt anything driving around town. Is this correct? Or is it best to just not drive the car at all until I wrap everything up back there...

Thanks,
    Ed